Resume, Applicant, New Employee Pet Peeves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becomethesky

Reaction score
Hello!

I am about to begin applying for work on the ground eventually working towards ISA climber cert.
To potentially avoid pitfalls may I ask...

What are some common mistakes regarding applications and what makes certain individuals stand out?

What are the most annoying mistakes or attitudes new hires do/have?

What different challenges do women face that are different than men when applying if any?

I don't want this to sound sexist, but it might anyways......
If you are a female then you might have a hard time keeping up with some big husky guy when it comes to dragging brush. On the other hand, if you are a lightweight, then that could be a real advantage when working in a tree. Especially on some prune jobs.

You asked about mistakes or attitude......
Listen when someone is giving instructions. Don't assume! If you don't understand ask for clarification. Show up to the interview wearing good work boots. Learn how to tie knots the proper way without having to think about it.
One more thing....... don't take any crap from the crew. Good luck.

Learn your knots & tree ID.
Get a copy of Jepson's "Tree Climber's Companion" and "Knots at Work" if you don't already have them.
Attitude IS everything. Showing up to work actually wanting and willing to learn stuff will be a mega plus in your favour.
Most of the ground workers I have run into (some I wanted to run over) are only playing this gig for the $$$. They could not care less about learning anything about anything tree-related.
Good luck.

I'll third that. Listening and wanting to learn are key. I've also run into alot of people That know it all and want to do everything their way. If I say make two cuts make 2. ALSO the more you learn the more you earn. You don't have to worry about beating another guy at dragging brush and loading logs if you gain the knowledge and skills necessary to be a good climber/ bucket operator etc.
Brush draggers area dime a dozen. People with brains?? Not as common.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

1. Don't lie about your experience. Ur a gurl, you will stand out

2. Look up, always keep a eye in the sky, that is where the biznass is. Walking into the LZ when someone is aloft and not yelling "under".
Watch the brush as it goes thru the chipper from the side, behind the feed tray. Don't stand right there in front and get pissed when it rolls and smacks you in the face.

3. Good louuurd, ur purty! Why in the hell do you wanna be a climber?
Challenges for women.......its more like challenges of the boss keeping the guys focused. When in Socal in early 2000's, My boss hired a chick, she had great work ethic and a good attitude, she was very pretty and wore clothes that showed her figure very nicely. We had to tell her to step it down as it was going to cause a accident! Major distraction, so, he told her to dress like a man. Another thing that I have observed with girls in the field, they often feel that they need to prove something to the guys, ya don't, just hold your own and you will be fine. Trying to out do the guys often leads to mistakes. Show that you are willing to do what it takes and they will be teaching you all they know and will become surrogate brothers. Don't date the crew, nothing worse for a boss, than a screamin spat on a jobsite.

Valuable advice.

I shall take it all to heart, read a lot and listen well on site. I am highly encouraged by this thread. Thank you all!

PS... Since you asked...

“Why in the hell do you wanna be a climber? “

I'd never even heard of tree climbing as a profession before last September when I met a climbing arborist for the first time on a solo backpacking trip to the redwood forest to climb a bit and zip line. After researching and asking around, taking a short course with Arbor Canada, I realized I'm kinda made for it and its absolutely what I am meant to do. I grew up helping out on the farm and doing outside work a lot. I work hard and I don't complain. I have worked about 11 years in the service industry in management almost exclusively. I call it a good day's work when I get to use my brain and my muscles all day. I am happy to hear it established that someone who really wants to learn is an asset. The intellectual component of this career is one of the things that drew me to it. Between learning about climbing techniques and gear, equipment maintenance and repair, rope uses and history, physics and efficiency of movement, tree identification, botany and taxonomy there is a lifetime of study ahead. :)

I work for a female arborist. You wanna talk about trees, she is the master of horticulture. Master chainsaw operator. Extremely valuable coworker both in the tree and on the ground.

Sent from Galaxy Tab 8

One of three certified arborist in our crew. Dont allow anyone tell you a girl will not make a good arborist. Work with the ground crew while absorbing everything horticulture. Practice knots. Learn a little latin for good measure. Just like anyone else trying to put themselves a step above. Thats what I am doing myself.

Sent from Galaxy Tab 8

First, you asked:
... what makes certain individuals stand out?....
In your next post, you said:
....I'd never even heard of tree climbing as a profession before last September when I met a climbing arborist for the first time.....After researching and asking around, taking a short course with Arbor Canada, I realized I'm kinda made for it and its absolutely what I am meant to do........I call it a good day's work when I get to use my brain and my muscles all day.......The intellectual component of this career is one of the things that drew me to it. Between learning about climbing techniques and gear, equipment maintenance and repair, rope uses and history, physics and efficiency of movement, tree identification, botany and taxonomy there is a lifetime of study ahead. :)

Communicate THAT when you apply, and you will stand out. Most people who show up "just looking" for a job assume tree work is simple dumbman's labor. They think this is a job where they can show up drunk or stoned, not put too much effort into it and get a decent pay. Probably people who didn't make it in the factory (because they pee test for drugs). They have run a saw their whole life so they clearly know what they are doing :dizzy: If I thought I could find enough hours to be fair to the applicant, I'd always give somebody who communicates passion an opportunity.

Others above have said: don't think you have to prove yourself because you are a woman. I agree. If you are with a crew where you do need to...you may never be able to even if you out work all of them - they have already made up their mind and you waste a lot of physical and emotional energy fighting that. If you excel and are a great climber, spend time learning, etc. and move up they will say you were treated differently, you had it easy, etc. When you are looking for a place to work, interview them as much as they are interviewing you. There are enough quality employers who will stand behind any good worker. To me, I am less interested anybody who thinks they need to "prove" themselves. That is when people start to take unnecessary chances and do stupid things...plus they can be annoying!

It is not specific to tree work...but I read a great book called 48 Days to the Work You Love. The 1st half is about finding your passion...what you are "supposed" to be doing. The second half has very practical career search advise which is why I mention it here. I'd recommend that (and you can certainly get through it in less than 48 days!)

Neck tattoos are high on my list of you must be worthless, I know it is not always true, and i should not think that way.I'm sure there are lots of clean cut hard workers out there that also have a brain and know how to use it wi a tattoo that said madman on there neck . It just never instilled that warm feeling that I may have to trust this guy with my life . 75 pieces of metal hanging out of your face is a close second.

Are you single? I might as well ask, everyone you ever work with is gonna.

You've not got any real experience, so there's little point in making up a resume. It's only going to be full of your lack of experience and end up sounding like a motivational speech full of ridiculous statements like "I'm a team player and love to challenge myself". We run only a small crew of 4-6 guys but went through over 150 staff last year, I kid you not. Each time I advertised I generally got a couple hundred applicants. Empty resumes get binned immediately. The best you can hope for is a start. If you're any good, that's all you need. No resume will get you hired, but good work will keep you in a job, learning and earning. Call around, talk to the boss and not the receptionist. Hit a home run each time with a statement like "This is the only job for me. Give me a start tomorrow and let me show you what I'm made of. If you don't like me at the end of the day I won't bother you again". Half a dozen phone calls like that will get you a start, 100 resumes posted out will not.

If you do get the job then go suck eggs for a month, grounding is miserable. You probably won't want to do the job after a month of grounding. Either way, if you're single I'd love to ask you out.

Hello!

I am about to begin applying for work on the ground eventually working towards ISA climber cert.
To potentially avoid pitfalls may I ask...

What are some common mistakes regarding applications and what makes certain individuals stand out?

What are the most annoying mistakes or attitudes new hires do/have?

What different challenges do women face that are different than men when applying if any?
look like your ready to work, i once interviewed a guy that packed lunch, he wanted to start work NOW. we hired him.

I hope your looks don't keep eyes off the work. Not trying to be cute either- be aware of that, I have seen it in my line of work in the electrical industry... It can be an issue. Be aware and mindful of it.

Show upo to the interview looking to be a member of the crew, not a woman looking for a job. On the job, don't come in all dolled up. Look like a member of the crew. Don't be afraid to realize or admit you probably won't be able to lift or out labor the guys, (some you may) but make it apoint to the interviewer you look for ways to fit in. You'll be the one to do the jobs the others don't llike to do or can't do and you'll make every effort to do what they do too. You'll earn your stripes quickly. And ignore the morons that try to hit on you all day (like some of the posts in here). Move on and do your job and run circles around them.

I think one of the bigger pitfalls a person in your position might stumble into would be taking a job at a company who said they were good and might even look it but after a couple days you realize this was not the case. So don't be afraid to ask the same questions you are being asked, don't assume its a good place to work just because they have nice trucks and a secretary.

Also don't go trying to impress people with your knowledge by running yer mouth when its time to heave ho but you probably already know that.

And of course you might want to button up yer shirt. You'll fill up with wood chips and sawdust and if you tuck your shirt in then yer underpants fill up just the same.

Back