Retirement age for arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Harbor Freight, they have lights on them, but the batteries cost more than the magnifier, I don't use the lights. I use it under my shop lights. I use it alot especially on carbs. It was under 10 bucks. I remember Starrett had one years ago but it was real optical glass and it was like way expensive.

What gloves do you use to keep your hands warm at sub-zero F temperatures?
I'm pretty lucky, I run pretty hot in my extremities. The best gloves I have ever had for flexibility, durability, dealing with wetness and keeping my hands warm were elk hide with thermal lining. Lately, I haven't been able to find them, so I look for lined larger-sized deer hide. This year, I just got some new thermal lined foam latex outer for those really wet days that I find myself getting my hands in a lot of snow. In winter, I keep an assortment in my truck, and a spare pair in one jacket pocket and a toque in another. It's always nice to have the right glove for the job, and to change out if they get too wet. It only takes 15 seconds to change a pair of gloves, and keep moving.

I go through gloves! I am a building contractor who puts up staging/scaffolding, lays brick/block, bangs on shingles and throws up wooden frames in every kind of weather. For my relaxing down-time, I fell trees and make firewood - mostly for our own consumption, but I have been known to donate a cord or two to someone who is having difficulty making ends meet.

I do have a pair of seal-skin gloves with the fur on the tops that are too warm for me. When it is in the -30 and colder range, I can put on a pair of leather Ice-fishing mitts that have an index finger and a thumb with the rest of the other 3 fingers all in one group. I find that if I keep my core really warm (layers), thin gloves usually work down to -5F (-20C) (depending on the wind and moisture).

Back