Revitalized MS440 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well here is the MS440 that I got a while back that I found had been rode very hard. I painted the clutch cover and the starter cover. I also cleared the plastic covers and bought a new 25" bar and chain for it. It had a big bore kit in it when I got it with 160 lbs. of compression. I had to rebuild the clutch side form the oil pump out. Here are some pics by its self and with the rest of the family. It will live a easy life from here on, used but not abused.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mac

Here are some pics of the muffler mod I did and also I forgot I bought the big dogs for it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Mac

Thanks for the compliments on the saw. Where do you rank the 440 with the other saws you have? I use my 361 more than the other saws I have but think that might change after using the 440.

Mac

Thanks for the compliments on the saw. Where do you rank the 440 with the other saws you have? I use my 361 more than the other saws I have but think that might change after using the 440.

Mac

looks great,nice paint job....

do you have a ral/paint code on the white color??

where the 440 rates for me

Up untill a few months ago all i had was a 290 farm boss. Then I ran a buddies 044 and started to get this thing called CAD. Then i got a 260 and 440 used at the same time. For the first little while i used the 260 mostly, cut better then the 290, and alot easier to move around with and didn't have much big stuff to cut. Then i got a chance to run the 440 in some bigger wood and then i realized how much power that saw has. SO, i said all that to say this. Now I havn't picked the 290 up in months. The 260 only gets started unless the stuff is really small. And i'm using the 440 for everything. ( I cut this morning, took both the 440 and 260, the 260 didn't get started and i used the 440 to cut everything even down to some pretty small maple limbs, just easier to zip through them while the saw is running then going back to the truck to get the smaller saw). LOVE the 440!!

Deadeye, I think it will be a tossup betwwen the 361 and 440 as of right now but that will probably change. I don't use my 066 as much as I thought I would but it is nice to know you have it if you need it.

Mac

360/361 is the next saw on my wish list. Then i'll have a saw in pretty much every cc range( for what is practical for me), but I think it's gonna have to wait alittle while. Still haven't got a chance to try out the 7900 too much. BTW those muff mods look pretty sweet on your saws!!!!!!

Looks really good. That Ford Gray doesn't look much like gray to me. It looks a lot like the oem colors of some of the pics of new saws I've seen on here.

Did you get new decals and emblems for the saw?

I had a chance this morning to play with my 440 and with a 20" B/C I shoved it into a 30" Diameter oak and it kept screaming. I cut 5 rings and switched to a 42"+ log and my father went at it not realizing there was frozen 3/4" stone stuck to the log and there goes the chain.:msp_crying: So I quick after that. It only tested at 110lbs compression and pulling that 20" the way it did I can't imagine what it will do when I rebuild it. I thought my 390 had power but I don't think I'm going to be picking that one up too much.

I also have a 290 and it has not been used once since i got my 026 pro and 440. I think a 60cc saw is a good size if you are only gonna have one saw (in that ballpark). But if you can have 2, a 50cc and 70cc are nice to have. I'll probably give my 290 to my pops who uses a "pull-on"......

The 361 is deffinatly a "tweaner" saw i agree, But it'd be nice to have a saw for every occasion. or set up for every occasion. Go cut firewood by myself( i know it's not a good idea)- 260, 440. Cut firewood with the family( where everyone else has saws big and small)- take the 361. Go on a job where i have some bigger hard woods. take the 7900 and the 361. Keep the 290 to let the "help" use, Don't really feel comfortable giving them a "good" saw. Heck, maybe some day i'll "think" i need a ms 660. But, i'm gonna hold off on buying more saws for awhile and work on getting the saws i have running even better. muff mod and maybe ported!!

Back