Rg 50 ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BranchWalker74

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have recently purchased a '07 Rayco 1625 about two weeks back. My sales person dropped off a demo diesel RG 50 2x4, to use until mine comes in.

What my problem is when I am driving the unit onto the rayco trailer it gets to the top of the ramp and stops. I know this machine has the power to make it up there, but it does not have enough tork to make it over that last lip. The only way I made it up all the way, was I had to turn the throttle up all the way. I tried that after many attempts at about half throttle. Am I missing a switch or a knob or something? On the dashboard I already turned all switches and knobs to the rabbit.

After I get my machine and use it I want to right a review, about the differences between the two machines. My first impression with this big RG 50 is it is a very heavy machine. It seems to sink into my wet lawn, even with the dual wheels. I am kind of intimidated by the size. Any help would appreciated.

My RG50 has always had a little trouble going up the trailer on a steep incline. Should not be doing that on level ground. At full throttle it should pull right up onto the trailer.

i put my 1625 super jr rite in the back of a pickup no problems at all , so i can still tow my bigger tow behind unit. I just picked up a new rg90 about 6 months ago and still havent had a hill i couldnt climb . I cant believe your rental rg50 can't climb that tiny ramp:confused: :help:

You will probably be very disappointed in the 1625 after using the rg-50 for a while. Good luck with your new machine.

I have used the RG 50 a few more times over the last couple of days. It is still having trouble climbing the trailer ramp. I have played with all the adjustments on the dash. I can only get it on the trailer with throttle wide open. When I see my sales man I want to ask him about it. This machine grinds stumps very fast. The diesel engine is very powerful. The teeth aren't even sharp, and it powers threw the stumps fast.

I am nervous about driving this big machine on my customers lawns, it seems to sink in a bit. I hope that will happen less often with my 1625.

So what is the problem? You say it climbs the trailer at full throttle... Do you cut stumps at part throttle too? Does it have a high and low range switch on it? it will not climb the trailer in high range.....

The 1625 is much lighter, slower and well about 1/2 the machine of the 50. Good luck. The 50 is one of the better units I have used. It will sink some on wet ground, but shouldn't on dry ground. if you are doing a lot of work in soggy conditions, the 25 should be much better as far as a foot print is concerned.

try the turtle

I find i often have to use the turtle setting to get all the way onto the trailer. More torque, less speed. Does the trick every time.

Ditto

You will probably be very disappointed in the 1625 after using the rg-50 for a while. Good luck with your new machine.

1625 is a good LITTLE machine but definitely no comparison to the rg-50. I used plywood to go over lawns(time consuming, yes but not as much as fixing ruts)

I figured out the issue of getting on the trailer. The bypass on the cutter sweep had to be closed all the way. My 1625 just came in Monday. I am really digging it. The speed doesn't seem that much slower than the 50. I am sure it is slower but I did not notice very much. The 1625 can run over soft grass without much damage( no sinking). When I was using the 50 it was like driving a truck on the lawns. I would spend more time fixing the ruts, than the time the 50 made up with faster grinding. In my area the lawns stay wet for about 1/3 of the year. So for me the 1625 seems like a better buy. I am sure if you do land clearing or site work the 50 would be best. Thank you for all the replies. You guys are a great help.

Oh I forgot to mention the '07 1625 has a new safety item that is driving me nuts. There is a sensing eye just under the lever controls. When ever you step away from the machine the cutter wheel stops. It does not seem like it is good to start and stop the wheel that often. It seems like extra Ware and tear on the machine. The wheel even stops when I am doing short travel advances, and the machine does not sense me on the side. I have already thought of a way to bypass the eye sensor. I am going to fasten a piece of rubber to the hood over the eye. That way when I want the cutter wheel to stop I just need to flip the rubber up. That is the only way to shut off the cutter wheel. The clutch on switch only works one way this year( no off).

Oh I forgot to mention the '07 1625 has a new safety item that is driving me nuts. There is a sensing eye just under the lever controls. When ever you step away from the machine the cutter wheel stops. It does not seem like it is good to start and stop the wheel that often. It seems like extra Ware and tear on the machine. The wheel even stops when I am doing short travel advances, and the machine does not sense me on the side. I have already thought of a way to bypass the eye sensor. I am going to fasten a piece of rubber to the hood over the eye. That way when I want the cutter wheel to stop I just need to flip the rubber up. That is the only way to shut off the cutter wheel. The clutch on switch only works one way this year( no off).

Did they put a heavier clutch in it to compensate? Does the engine die down automatically to re-engage? I understand the why of the feature but it does sound like a big wear item. My 1625 has already ate 2 of the old style non-fan clutches. Now I have the fan on this one and it has lasted the longest.
As for sinking in soft grass, the dual wheels really help, expensive option but worth it.

I don't think they had changed anything on the 1625 except the motion sensing eye. It seems like it was a last minute add on. The clutch does have a fan built onto it. I don't think the engine adjusts the speed automatically. I usually turn it down before I re engage the clutch. My dealer threw in the dual wheels with my deal. The sinking problem was with the RG 50 loaner they gave me until mine came in. It had dual wheels also, but the machine was so heavy it didn't matter.

Latest posts

Back