Rigging blocks concern

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blrobison

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a rigging block since I've been using natural crotches for lowing branches and it's really starting to wear on the ropes. I'm thinking about buying larger rigging rope (possibly 5/8 or 3/4) in the future and so i'm considering paying a little more for a 3/4 block and using it for all present and future rigging. I'm currently using 1/2 inch rope but if I buy a larger diameter block, will that put any abnormal wear on the block or rope since the diameters don't match?

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before putting up the money and getting an unpleasant surprise. Which brand of block have you had the most success with?

When i bought my first set of blocks, I bought the steel cmi ones. My suggustion would be spend the money now, and you wont end up replacing them with better blocks.

I bought the ICC 3/4" blocks, and love them. Think they are around $180 a piece. The blue one in the pic is the 3/4" one. Red one is 5/8"

attachment.php

the blocks should match rope size ideally, but flatting causes less trouble, in my opinion, than the small diameter of sheaves I see others using. They are making to tight a bend in the rope.

I don't use any smaller than 6" and prefer larger.

Yep, the pulley diameter is very important. Get the biggest diameter you can. I've seen rope fray under load on small diameter pulleys. The inside of the bend crunches and buckles and the outside gets stretched. This reduces the strength of the rope because only a small cross section area of the rope is bearing all the weight. Don't skimp on diameter.

What is the dia. of the porta wrap or lowering device you are using?
My (commercially produced) porty has an outside dia. of less than 2". I'd like to try running rope on a larger one someday.

Last edited:
When i bought my first set of blocks, I bought the steel cmi ones. My suggustion would be spend the money now, and you wont end up replacing them with better blocks.

I bought the ICC 3/4" blocks, and love them. Think they are around $180 a piece. The blue one in the pic is the 3/4" one. Red one is 5/8"

attachment.php

I'm picking up a block on Monday. I'm using a 9/16 rope but figured I'd go for a 3/4 block.

In any case, are you saying the aluminum ones in your pic are better than the less expensive stainless steel - or are they just fancier?

Also, I saw the zinc coated steel model (like in Del's pic) for a good price, but even though the WWL is the same as the other models (all about 2.2 tons), is it as good as the others?

Well, you convinced me. Seems solid, certainly no frills, but the captive bushing is a great idea.

Except your $90 was my $138 at our local Vermeer shop. Next time I'll get you to send me a block. (And one of the fancy $$$ DMM impact blocks at that.)

IMG_2550.jpg

Scored a new Porta-Wrap as well. My climber thought it was a waste of money to get a new one, but I was feeling a bit iffy about my old one. But the thing went straight from the box and onto the tree. Proved it's worth in minutes. And look at the massive difference in whoopie size. I feel much, much better with this one, even if the stated WWL of the P-W is the same.

IMG_2548.jpg

Latest posts

Back