Ripping chain suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious though, I notice that most of you mentioned that you are using a semi-chisel chain. Does the semi-chisel hold up a little better when ripping, or is this just what you normally use for everything on the saw?
Mark

I can honestly say I have never used full chisel for ripping, only semi chisel and genuine ripping (10°) chain. I doubt full chisel would mill very well or last long but unsure on this one. Our wood generally isn't as suited to full chisel chain as yours. Although using well set up Full Chisel in clean wood is impressive stuff I generally use semi chisel. A well setup semi chisel chain and a grunty saw will not be far (if at all) as out of the box full chisel when it comes to cutting speed but will wear a lot better. However a well set up full chisel chain is even faster...

Last edited:
Matt you got any videos of full chisel vs semi chisel for speed. I've been wanting to try some semi chisel and wonder how much better the edge will last. I cut some oak cookies yesterday with the square ground and it's pretty clean with a lot of the bark gone and 2 cuts and the point was already gone.

Matt you got any videos of full chisel vs semi chisel for speed. I've been wanting to try some semi chisel and wonder how much better the edge will last. I cut some oak cookies yesterday with the square ground and it's pretty clean with a lot of the bark gone and 2 cuts and the point was already gone.

I was actually planning on getting some vids done on the weekend just gone but didn't get time. I've got a few loops of Carlton semi chisel with the rakers lowered pretty well and it cuts like a banshee. Certainly not for the light hearted and it's by no means a "smooth" cutting chain but with a modded 7900 or 390 pulling it she cuts thats for sure. I know what you mean with chisel, either round or square - I made 2-3 cuts the other week with new RSC in a debarked Casuarina log and the points were visibly damaged. It still cut OK but doesn't leave you smiling thats for sure. That is by no means an attack on RSC either. Semi Chisel will far outlast full chisel when the going gets a bit tough or abrasive.
I'll get some vids up soon :cheers:

I might grab a loop when I'm out today and try it myself. I have some big sassafras I could try it on if I can find a loop in 93 dl. I don't know if the one place buys it already cut for stihl in 91 dl or not. I guess I could get 84 dl. I've got a brand new RSK chain I want to try out anyway.

You certainly can regrind a semi-chisel chain into a ripping chain. Anything less than 15 deg. works pretty well to reduce shavings binding up in the clutch. Oregon makes the best ripping chain, in my opinion, 72RD is the one I use on my 28" bar. I use it for both milling and for splitting rounds freehand. I'd try a Stihl ripping chain if they made one, but it does not appear they do. I've had poor luck with Bailey's ripping chains, and can't recommend them.

Back