Ripsaw on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats an intersting deal. Looks like a 290-310-390 saw. I wonder how well it really works:confused:

Last edited:
Thats the first one I seen, Seems like a simple contraption to make. Just running a band saw aon a chainsaw head.

according to some----on some other more mechanical type forums-not real easy to duplicate----esp what mounts it to the saw--but then i digress, if you have machinest abilitys--easy peasy------

Thats an intersting deal. Looks like a 290-310-390 saw. I wonder how well it really works...

375bdft.jpg

Thats the first one I seen, Seems like a simple contraption to make. Just running a band saw aon a chainsaw head.

Actually, not. Couple things... gearing down that chainsaw direct drive slow enough to run the bandsaw, tracking that band once you crank enough tension on the Ripsaw to keep it cutting strait and true, and lastly as mentioned already mating the powerhead to the Ripsaw and channeling the oil output through that interface from the powerhead to that gearing present problems for all but the truely gifted machinist. Ripsaw uses a cast aluminum interface block with a channel from the powerhead oil output right to the pinion gear inside that bandsaw housing. Unless you have access to a foundry and skill to pour something like that and then machine it to fit a powerhead, it would be difficult to make. Not saying some one here could not, there is a lot of talent on this forum... just saying that it looks a whole lot easier than it really is.

IF I was to attempt to make a Ripsaw from scratch, I'd buy that cast aluminum interface piece (they differ between Stihl and Husky just as a bar would) and the pinion and large ring gear from Ripsaw as well as the band wheels, and then try and build the rest. At that point you are left with 1/8 inch thick sheet aluminum, some square stock, some custom nut/bolt setups that are doable in a machine shop, and off the shelf bearings and housings. You would have to be good at welding thin aluminum and fabricating some stamped steel. I am grossly simplifying, but you get the picture. Again, biggest problem I see then at that point would be tracking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back