Roadside critter sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to get brave and post some pictures of my recent carvings for a roadside sale during our annual local festival that is held at the end of September. I know it isn't much and is about equal to a varnished wood garage sale type thing but I was pleased with the results because I sold just about everything in the pictures . I had to do a little discounting on Saturday which is kind of normal for this type sale but I started a little high and went down to what I felt was rock bottom for my time and materials and was able to sell more than I thought I would and made more pocket money than I thought I would.

I could write a small book on my latest trial and error chainsaw carving experience with this past month but all I wanted to do was test the waters and see if my bears and birds would sell which I need to get better at verses doing mostly mushrooms like I have in the past. I did get some interesting input from the people that stopped to look and buy. I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

People seemed to be looking for something different to give as gifts that were in the $40.00 to$60.00 price range and these carving seemed to fit this little niche. I had some stuff over a $100.00 that just kind of sat there mostly because people as a rule don't carry that much money and I couldn't take a debit or credit card. Your not going to get rich by no means but it is easier than trying to sell firewood . It really doesn't seem to matter either weather it is a mushroom, bear or a bird if it had a price tag in a multiple of $20.00 it was a popular item they could put in their backseat or trunk and drive off. Those big black bears drew people in to look but didn't sell quickly because they had the biggest price tag and were too big for most people. I did sell one of them because the person who bought had been looking for a long time for a big black bear for their porch.

More than one person told me they liked my bears because the faces looked kind of happy verses the mean look they normally see which to them looked ugly . I dunno know , go figure right. Everyone sees different things when it comes to bears and birds and has a different picture in their mind as to how a critter should look.

I could go on and on about different things such as making those welcome signs with a trim router and the right bit verses my other way of doing or using a chainsaw and how a nice looking sign is as important as the bear itself to some people along with the base of the carving, different finishes methods I tried, spray painting is easier than varnishing , my improved relationship with my 1/4in. dime tip saw, or complain about how I still can't get a decent looking eagle or an owl , how bigger carvings with detail don't work out so good for me on smaller diameter wood using a chainsaw verses smaller carving tools and many other different topics for discussion. This is getting to be a long post so I'll call it quits for now.

Feel free to comment on the pictures good or bad. DSCN1877.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1878.JPG
    DSCN1878.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1879.JPG
    DSCN1879.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1884.JPG
    DSCN1884.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1888.JPG
    DSCN1888.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 61
I think you are doing good , I wish I could find the time to do it and maybe find a carver in my neck of the woods to hang out with from time to time

Those welcome bears go for around $300-500 around here.

Get a Square credit card reader for your smart phone. That's what I use to firewood sales. Costs about 3%, but better to "lose" $30 on a $1000 sale vs not make the sale.

Thanks for the replies, I try but have a long way to go. I am never really happy with my chainsaw carvings. What I envision when I start on a log and what turns out is always two different things.

$300 to $500 for a welcome bear. WOW. I wish I could get that. Not many log homes around here or lakes with cottages nor is there many people who spend money on hand crafted items.

I am going to get brave and post some pictures of my recent carvings for a roadside sale during our annual local festival that is held at the end of September. I know it isn't much and is about equal to a varnished wood garage sale type thing but I was pleased with the results because I sold just about everything in the pictures . I had to do a little discounting on Saturday which is kind of normal for this type sale but I started a little high and went down to what I felt was rock bottom for my time and materials and was able to sell more than I thought I would and made more pocket money than I thought I would.

I could write a small book on my latest trial and error chainsaw carving experience with this past month but all I wanted to do was test the waters and see if my bears and birds would sell which I need to get better at verses doing mostly mushrooms like I have in the past. I did get some interesting input from the people that stopped to look and buy. I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

People seemed to be looking for something different to give as gifts that were in the $40.00 to$60.00 price range and these carving seemed to fit this little niche. I had some stuff over a $100.00 that just kind of sat there mostly because people as a rule don't carry that much money and I couldn't take a debit or credit card. Your not going to get rich by no means but it is easier than trying to sell firewood . It really doesn't seem to matter either weather it is a mushroom, bear or a bird if it had a price tag in a multiple of $20.00 it was a popular item they could put in their backseat or trunk and drive off. Those big black bears drew people in to look but didn't sell quickly because they had the biggest price tag and were too big for most people. I did sell one of them because the person who bought had been looking for a long time for a big black bear for their por
I could go on and on about different things such as making those welcome signs with a trim router and the right bit verses my other way of doing or using a chainsaw and how a nice looking sign is as important as the bear itself to some people along with the base of the carving, different finishes methods I tried, spray painting is easier than varnishing , my improved relationship with my 1/4in. dime tip saw, or complain about how I still can't get a decent looking eagle or an owl , how bigger carvings with detail don't work out so good for me on smaller diameter wood using a chainsaw verses smaller carving tools and many other different topics for discussion. This is getting to be a long post so I'll call it quits for now.

Feel free to comment on the pictures good or bad. View attachment 604747
i have 2 or 3 sycomore logs for sale
in 2 days thay will be cut up for firewood

Latest posts

Back