rock vs. chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms290

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well here is my problem I have an MS290 with the 20 on it and i hit a sandstone a while back and now I can sharpen the chain and take off any burrs that i find and all i can cut at a reasonable pace is ONE :censored: cut. What gives. Before i forget there are a link or two with the angle WAY off. How do i fix the chain and make it usable again. Plus also my oiler is turned all the way up but i still dont get much oil even at full throttle with a good load on. Is there some trick to get it to oil like it used too?

when i rock a chain i take it to the dealer and get then to grind it. alot less work than hand filing to fix it. as for the oiler, check the groove and clean it out and check the oil hole may be plugged as well, drain the bar oil resevoir and put some gas in there put on cap and slosh around empty out and refill. my 026 always semed to gum up and that wood fix it.

I would suggest that you get a new chain. Spare chains are good.:)

Compare the old chain to the new, and if you can't duplicate the sharpening, have it sharpened by someone who can. Generally, I don't recommend having a chain sharpened by someone else with a grinder, but you may need to to get it corrected.

Well its been a while but cuttin season is startin up again and i did manage to get that chain filed down by handl. It took a few sharpenings but now its getting better BUT it just doesnt spit out chips the way it otta so i think the next chain i get will have them raker links in it if i can get somebody to do one like that i wouldnt mind paying a little extra.

Ya that is what i meant but now i know a little bit better and i prefer a full chisel chain. I have a semi as well but i dont like using it in hard woods which is what i have here.:cry:

Latest posts

Back