Rookie with creosote question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan's got it ! :agree2:

Working a wood stove is like making love: not too much, not too fast. You got to enjoy the ride with who or whatever. :heart:

Give the wood the chance to coal, then close off the air or damper ( NO damper for newer EPA stoves however).

Can't tell you how many of the local boys tell me : "..been burning this way all my life..." as they build permanent roof ladders to clean their chimneys once a month. Throw in a load, damp the air, close the damper to 'save' wood. " Can't help it, it clogs up too fast, and you know, those chimney fires can burn the place down." Enjoy the beer, keep foot out of mouth.:hmm3grin2orange:
Gloat away, I read ur post before mine & the edit after u read mine? Anyway "no damper for EPA stove is " is BS due to chance of overdrafting due to chimni specs & winds.The statemment that a permanent roof ladder is unnecessary implies that logbutcher supercedes Murphy!

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Our stove is a mid 80's model, it is EPA certified. I will try and get a pic of her setup next time I'm there. I'll have her try the suggestions and hopefully it helps. It is possible there is a bit of a leak in the pipe, where the pipe attaches to the piece coming out of the ceiling. We had a hard time getting the 2 sections together, there is less than an inch coming down out of the ceiling and it was hard to get them together. Finally got them and put in a couple screws but it doesn't have much overlap between them. I'll take another look at it.

I've heard that the newer EPA stoves are more efficient, thus the smoke going up the flue is much cooler than conventional stoves. Is this correct? If so, how does this impact creosote buildup?

I've heard that the newer EPA stoves are more efficient, thus the smoke going up the flue is much cooler than conventional stoves. Is this correct? If so, how does this impact creosote buildup?

EPA stoves are more efficient, thus less smoke going up the flue. Not cooler smoke. EPA stove run right will produce very little, if any creosote. A cooler flue does make more creosote though.

2 factors here=
1-the temp of the smoke
2-the volume of air going up the chimni:yoyo:

All systems sound fine, except the obvious: use. Flue is good, wood is fine, stovetop temps sound good, but-----

Many damp their stove down too soon, before the wood reaches the coaling and gas state. True when not much heat is needed. It's a normal reaction by many users.

The load needs time to get up to pyrolysis or efficient, clean burns.

Also, most have a daily morning "hot burn" to "burn off" the accumulation of any flue deposits from a nightly slow burn.

Bets are on.

gotta agree.

people tend to dampen them down in an affort to extend a log's burn time to three days. ( a joke) ain't gonna happen. maybe to save on wood, maybe to save another trip to get wood....who knows?

the daily hot fire should correct the problem...providing they let it burn HOT.

I wonder if it is the Napolean stove, two of my buddies have installed them in as many years, and both have the same complaint...No heat. I just wonder if there is something in the construction of the stove that prohibits a good hot burn. I know it sounds crazy but both these guys have had other stoves. I don't know about build up never got into it that far with them.

The stove itself puts out plenty of heat, it will cook you out of the house. Only problem is the creosote builds up real fast.

whats odd is thaT THE CREO IS NEAR THE TOP OF THE STOVE, NORMALLY , IT DEPOSITS FROM THE TOP OF THE CHIMNI DOWN
wood that gassifies too fast by too much surface area & or too dry can result in unburned creo due to lack of combustion air

whats odd is thaT THE CREO IS NEAR THE TOP OF THE STOVE, NORMALLY , IT DEPOSITS FROM THE TOP OF THE CHIMNI DOWN
wood that gassifies too fast by too much surface area & or too dry can result in unburned creo due to lack of combustion air

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
What in the heck... was that mouthfull.....

I'd like to make a point about the EPA.
I see many talking about if a stove is EPA rated or tested to EPA standards it is so efficient.

EPA does not have a standard for efficiency. The standard is for particulates.
Now just because it burns clean does not mean that it is efficient. In some cases the unit is eff. ,but not always.
You can make all of the btu's available but if the unit is not designed to exchange those btu's eff. will not be there.
Eff. is about heat made vs heat out the flue.

Darin
The Big Kahuna

TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

Other things to check out.
Google Map.
Arboristsite Facebook Fan Club
Tweet Arboristsite

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
What in the heck... was that mouthfull.....

I'd like to make a point about the EPA.
I see many talking about if a stove is EPA rated or tested to EPA standards it is so efficient.

EPA does not have a standard for efficiency. The standard is for particulates.
Now just because it burns clean does not mean that it is efficient. In some cases the unit is eff. ,but not always.
You can make all of the btu's available but if the unit is not designed to exchange those btu's eff. will not be there.
Eff. is about heat made vs heat out the flue.
the heat out the flue involves 2 factors
1- is the temperature of the gas
2- is the volume of the gas or amount of gas that goes up the flue

ideal wood burning involves ~ 8 parts air to 1 part woodgas & this is best done by downdrafting gassification or by the Europa pellet stove. Any excess air beyond the 8/1 ratio is air that carries heat up the chimni'
When the furnace tech tunes an oil furnace, she analyzes the fluegas for CO content & excess air so to maximize the efficiency after the furnace warms up to its sweet spot.
Now consider a wood furnaces with different burnbox configurations. The EPA will approve any furnace that meets its criteria for particulates emissions but HOW MUCH EXCESS COMBUSTION AIR DOES THAT FIREBOX CONFIGURATION REQUIRE?

QUOTE=pook;2651115]the heat out the flue involves 2 factors
1- is the temperature of the gas
2- is the volume of the gas or amount of gas that goes up the flue

ideal wood burning involves ~ 8 parts air to 1 part woodgas & this is best done by downdrafting gassification or by the Europa pellet stove. Any excess air beyond the 8/1 ratio is air that carries heat up the chimni'
When the furnace tech tunes an oil furnace, she analyzes the fluegas for CO content & excess air so to maximize the efficiency after the furnace warms up to its sweet spot.
Now consider a wood furnaces with different burnbox configurations. The EPA will approve any furnace that meets its criteria for particulates emissions but HOW MUCH EXCESS COMBUSTION AIR DOES THAT FIREBOX CONFIGURATION REQUIRE?[/QUOTE]
:arg::arg::arg::poke::poke::poke:[

Darin
The Big Kahuna

TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

Other things to check out.
Google Map.
Arboristsite Facebook Fan Club
Tweet Arboristsite

:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back