Rope cleanup at Katrina

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantheraba

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
TreeMachine...I need to take you up on your offer to help down here. I have been spending a lot of time in pine trees down here and my ropes and split tails are very sappy.

I tried to research the site last night to find the thread on how to clean them but ran out of time.

Would you please sort thru the threads when you get a chance and give me an idea on the best, quickest way to get this gear usable again.

I am having trouble making the ropes slide at all.

I think I read you can wash them...light detergent, maybe?

I still did not get your contact info...send it and I will call you.

Thanks much.

Info sent via PM early today. Sorry on the delay

Pitch removal from rope. I searched Sherrill for a product and came up with only a rope wash bag. In the description it was recommended mild detergent or dishwashing liquid. That's not good enough for pine pitch, though, and we all know that.

I know an arborist who swears by a product called 'fast-orange'.

For my hands, I use used to use straight gasoline, but on ropes, I don't think so. I know acetone works on pitch, but also the use on rope is questionable at best. Mineral spirits dissolve pitch, but again, I would question the use on a lifeline or even a bull rope.

Whenever I do pine, I climb SRT. That means one single part of the rope is in pressure-contact with the tree and there is no 'sliding' of the rope through the crotch. I have cleaned those spot areas with GoJo handcleaner, a product similar to Fast-orange, only without the fresh, Spring-like orange citrus aroma (sounds like an infomercial). Either one of these is available at any hardware store or WalMart (automotive section). I would attack it on a hard-surface bench or table with a good, stiff, tight-bristled nylon brush. Coat the rope and give it a minute or two to work into the pitch, then scrubbadubdub. Just know this is intuitive advice from me who has never done this on the entire length of a rope.

I have a call into three rope manufacturers, Samson and New England and Wall. I'll find out what they recommend for cleaning pine pitch off ropes.

Any other arborists with firsthand experience, feel free to contribute.

There's some stuff called Goo b Gone. Its citrus based and is concentrated. I've used it and it worked for me. I used it immediately afterwards, then washed it off with water and mild detergent.

I've wondered about something like stain remover for clothing like "SHOUT". Never tried it though.

Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover cuts sap very well, but I have no idea if it is safe on ropes. You would have to check with the rope manufacturer.

Perhaps someone who knows the ropes well could do that for him, folks? I have no clue where to start.

Nickwax (the guys that make waterproofer and stuff for shoes and jackets) make a cleaning product as well that they claim can be used on ropes. Of course they're talking about rock climbing ropes, but it would probably be worth a try. Its called Nikwax Tech Wash and its usually about $8 for a 10 ounce bottle. I work at REI and I know we sell it and its on our website, but you can probably get it from any outdoor retailer, like LL Bean and Campmor. Good luck down there...stay safe.

I contacted a rope engineer at Samson today by phone. He said ACETONE. He said it's inert on rope fibers, and water-soluble. I asked of dropping an entire rope in a 5 gal. bucket and pouring the acetone over it. He said OK & you're going to want to do a surface scrub with a brush while immersed. . Then pull it out and do a secondary wash in warm water and mild detergent to get the dirt and grunge that was not soluble in the acetone, fresh water rinse and let er dry.

That's the official word from the manufacturing front.

Acetone is available at most hardware stores by the gallon, and it's not very expensive.

DON'T SMOKE NEAR IT, it's extremely flammable and evaporates readily. Make sure you're outside and try not to breath too much of it.

Last edited:
Tree Machine... isn't "acetone for ropes" excellent information to have on your website?

it's wonderful that you are investing your time & effort for those in the Katrina area-- you might not be there running the saw, but you are an excellent point man!

Acetone for ropes as a subject heading..... I'd rather suggest methods for preventing the sappy pitch in the first place. As far as point man, I'm trying to do that AND keep my marriage stable. She just thinks I'm playing on the computer to avoid doing other 'more important' stuff. I tell her it's important and I'm committed. She tells me it's important that I should BE committed.:blob2:

I hooked up with urban forestry today in Jackson Mississippi and have some needed contact info for our teams in the south or heading south. Good to see ya, Trin. Thanks.

I wouldn't have thought of acetone - that stuff's potent. I'm surprised it's okay to use on ropes.

Use gloves, and handle with care.

And DO pay attention to TM's warning about breathing the stuff or smoking around it. Acetone makes gasoline look safe.

IIRC, I think I remember someone (JPS???) saying that mayonaise works to remove the pitch... I think the discussion then turned to using either just straight veggie oil or a combination of oil and eggs, or ???. I don't remember for sure. I'll see if I can do some searching here tonight and see what turns up.

Dan

Ok, if you are hesitant to use something as strong as acetone, I found this:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=22695

Here's a quote of an entire post:
I read that linked thread, I've heard of the mayo treatment before and even margarine as a solvent for pitch. Tried them, and they're effective, but more work than what I use now.

We climb alot of pitchy pines here, and Grand Firs with 1/2" pitch blisters that pop and ooze pitch the consistancy of corn syrup at the slightest disturbance. I've had my hands get so mucked up in a single tree that the contact transfer to my chainsaw had the throttle trigger sticking open/shut. Unpleasant.

The solution? Citrus oils. Lemon oil straight on your snaps and 'biners, mixed with a mild detergent and hot water for your ropes and lanyard is what I've found to work the best. There are a lot of Orange citrus products out there, they are second best if you cant find Lemon oil.

I'm climbing with a double-ended 5/8" wire core lanyard with a wire core prussic adjuster that's been through a Lemon oil/detergent bath many times and it shows no ill effects beyond two years of hard use.

After the bath, I use sewing machine oil, which contains a rust preventative, on the snap and lock pivots. You could just spray with WD-40, but the sewing machine oil comes in a little tube with a delivery point like a syringe needle. Gets the oil exactly where it's needed, not all over everything.

Works for me!

RedlineIt

Hope this helps! Good luck to all in the zone. Be safe!

Dan

Tree Machine said:
Info sent via PM early today. Sorry on the delay

Pitch removal from rope. . That's not good enough for pine pitch, though, and we all know that.

I know an arborist who swears by a product called 'fast-orange'.

Fast orange and the other orange/cleaners work well on greasy grime. I have used the orange wipes to get rid of cedar (ashe juniper) sap which is similar to the pine sap I had in Alabama. The cedar sap is very sticky and the orange cleaners work well on it.

Back