Rope Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my rope bag for my climbing rope. I am using one of the old Sherrill red rope storage bags which is 4 or 5 years old and has been a good one but I have been checking out the Rope Boss bags for a couple of years now. Do they have any zippered pockets on them for gear storage? I would really like something with that feature as I no longer dare to keep anything in the open pockets on my rope bag because of losing things in the past.

Really, I like the idea of being able to keep all of my climbing gear in one location. I'm talking about ascenders, biners pulleys and what not. Right now I am keeping a lot of that stuff in my ditty bag (old drawstring throwline bag) as well as other various bags of rigging/climbing gear. Nothing pisses me off worse than having to hunt for stuff I need for a job in the morning and not being able to find it.

Anyway, any comments on the rope boss bags? and while I'm at it I need to replace my ditty bag as there is a hole in it now... Not to mention the old candy and crude in the bottom of that thing. Anyone using the sherrill ditty bags, wingman or any others. Good/bad?

Most guys in aus who have a small climbing kit are storing the whole thing in a canvas duffel bag. Your harness, carabiners, ascenders, spurs etc, all go in the duffel, and the rope gets draped over the side or stored in a separate bag. Some guys are using 'wet storage' bags bought from marine suppliers. They're great for rope storage, very durable.

It depends on how much kit you've got. If you're a prusik and spurs guy then your kit is small. If you have more gear, you need more space. If you're climbing entirely on modern gear and have a big rack, then storing it on a sling, or a few slings ins not a bad way to go. You can rack up your gear by type, and grab a sling and throw it over your shoulder if you like climbing that way. A lot of rock climbers go this way, because they don't have groundies ;-)

Slinging up gear keeps it where you can find it, and you can hang it somewhere at the site too.

I keep my harness, spurs, carabiners, ascenders, a few medium rated pulleys, a throw line/weight, saw lanyard, flip line, one rope and a hand saw in one big duffel. This is my basic climbing kit

In another duffel I keep 4 more ropes, another throw line and weight and two heavy duty pulleys on slings. This is my rigging/complex climbing kit. In a third duffel I keep about 30 slings and carabiners, and one more heavy duty pulley on a sling. This is my speedlining kit.

Most of the time I'm only reaching for the one bag, my climbing kit. I'm vigilant about keeping gear either attached to a tree or me, or stored in the bag. This means I dont lose much gear. Having said that, I recently lost my big shot. I think it was buried in the chip bin aeynd dumped somewhere. Hopefully it will turn up, but I bought another one anyway.

Shaun

I ordered the XL rope boss and had it for a few weeks. I sent it back and got the smaller one. The XL is too large to carry on your back. The weight of everything combined with how far back it sets makes it impossible for me to trudge up a hill to go to work. I decided on the smaller bag, which works fine. The other stuff and a saw balance nicely in left and right hands. I just felt the XL was too big (and heavy when filled).

packability

burtim brings up a good point about the actual need to haul your gear a distance. Why not just buy a regular backpack? Countless sizes and styles to choose from. I have a day pack I use. It holds a 120' & 50' hanks of rope, 2 leather sleaves and a helmet. The daisy chain that runs down it's face can keep my spikes secure, (if I need them) plus lots of room for extra biners, acsenders and whatnot. It has 2 pouches to hold 1 liter sized water bottles plus a couple of side pouches. My saddle I can either wear to the work area or sling it over my shoulder bandalero style. Just a thought.

I've got people to pack my gear... I've got tons of gear packed in different bags... I've been at it 20 years... Just trying to find a good packing solution to centralize all of my climbing gear...

Not bad ideas on the backpacks, I used to carry my gear in a large duffel. I am just wondering where you guys are hiking so far that you would need a backpack? I mean, the furthest I usually have to go is the back yard. I am keeping all of my climbing gear in a large plastic tote now. All rigging gear and ropes are in another. I like the idea of keeping all of my climbing gear that I usually need in one bag with the rope. Especially loose parts like my ascenders and pulleys. That is the stuff that is maddening to try to find sometimes when I have to go through different bags to look for it.

Yea, I've seen a few guys use them over the past several years. The yellow vinyl ones are waterproof. I had thought about getting one before but the rope boss bag looks more in line of what I am looking for. I keep all of my ropes in bags these days. I cannot stand to see loose tangled ropes on the ground while I am working. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I use a big Addidas gym bag. Harness, ascenders, etc., go in the middle with a 120ft. of XTC. Helmet in the mesh end section and 150ft. of Blaze in the other end section. Shoulder strap makes for an awkward carry at best, but it is better than nothing.

... Not that I was in the Army or anything. I was in the Black Ops... Too secret to talk about... I was black tree ops... I was sent on missions to defoliate trees in the hood around Atlanta...

...Really, my hands are registered lethal weapons with a Silkey hand saw... I don't like to talk about it much tho... It brings on flashbacks...

Latest posts

Back