Router for power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi Fellas
Thought I would stick this here and also the Off Topic Forum and see if I can get any answers.Do you think it would be possible to attach a flex shaft to a small router that has a 1/4 collet for carving, sanding, cutting?Maybe I could hook up a small drill chuck to the shaft of the router.I'm thinking I could use it like a Foredom powerhead.
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Last edited:
I would make sure the flex shaft is designed for that purpose, like the ones for the dremels. At 25,000 rpm things better be in balance. I can tell you that when I was about 12 I wanted a weed eater so bad I couldn't stand it.
I had to trim around the house with hand clippers or pull the grass by hand.
I took dad's 1/4 horse 1/4" craftsman die grinder and put a fiberglass electric fence post in it about 3 feet long and drilled holes in the bottom to tie some fifty lbs fishing line to for weed eater line, fired that baby up and I thought it was going to kill me, the post oscillated and whipped so violently I could verily hang on with both hands, thank God the fiberglass post broke off after about 25 seconds, it seemed like a life time. Be careful at those rpm's things can and will fly apart if not balanced and designed for the tool. Good luck, I think sears used to make some flex shafts for their routers.

Router for power?

Hi Pete, I agree with IndianSprings! To be safe & have a tool that is properly designed for this application & only buy it once in your life is the Wecheer power carver unit. It is basically the exact same as the Foredom but about 1/3 the price, 1/4 HP, variable speed & also reversible. You can run 5/32", 1/8" & even 1/4" shaft rotary tools such as the Saburrtooth which are by far the best designed rotary burrs & the complete kit sells for around $150 (depending on the dollar of course). I highly recommend dealing with Pops at http://www.chippingaway.com as he is a great guy to deal with from my years of knowing him.
Hope this helps you be safe & enjoy?
Thanks, Robbin
http://www.robbinsamazingart.com

Back