Routine Maple Milling Fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After years of cutting trees upwards of 30" dia with my overworked MS250, I treated myself to a new 361. What a nice machine! Here I put it to work on a 30 year old spruce, too close to the house.

attachment.php

Hey, this is the milling forum! We went out back and picked a sugar maple, very close to two others and a bit of a leaner.
attachment.php

The sap poured out like crazy at the stump, here a branch drips.

attachment.php

Used the 12' ladder for the first cut. Time was tight, so I cut thick slabs. Most between 1.5" and 2", one 3" monster. I can resaw them anyway if I need to.

attachment.php

Not equipped to jack up the logs, so I did the Millers crawl through the sawdust pile.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Last year at this time I milled a beech in the snow. This year it was beautiful, sunny with a breeze to carry away the dust and exhaust. Some of it anyway... Got some good boards, some figured grain was hiding near the crotches and there looked like tiger stripes in one area.

attachment.php

Stacked in the barn, a good days work.

attachment.php

Raided Dad's good stuff for a hard earned drink! Cheers!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Last year at this time I milled a beech in the snow. This year it was beautiful, sunny with a breeze to carry away the dust and exhaust. Some of it anyway... Got some good boards, some figured grain was hiding near the crotches and there looked like tiger stripes in one area.

Lucky... We're in the opposite circumstance as you this year. Snow was off by mid-late March for the last few years, this year I still have huge piles where the sun doesn't hit much. Did my first milling of the season today though at a friend's house in his driveway, so I was pretty stoked about that. Beautiful day here today finally.

Looks like a day to remember good to see you out enjoying it with family thats what its all about!! Nice pics and lumber thanks for sharing gives some hope/inspiration for some good milling weather.. keep it up and take care irishcountry

Thanks to my wife for the nice pics! I mill with my 660, stock except for a dual port muffler. That is a 36" bar and it pulls it quite nicely. Ah yes, the old barn - built about 1865 out of that beautiful old growth. It's a great place to dry wood.:cheers:

Back