Royal Wood Burning Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldgirl

Reaction score
My Royal Wood Burning Furnace doesn't seem to be getting airflow. It's my first time using it so I can't figure out where the airflow is supposed to be coming from. HelP??

Airflow? Do you mean combustion air to ignite the fire? Or airflow for your fan to distribute the warm air? A few details can help us figure out your dilemma.

Yes we need more clues

If you are referring to damper issues.. could be plugged flue pipe.. Birdsnest, creosote. Many other possibilities. If you mean duct work wise.. many issues there too. Photos will help.
Oh and welcome to the site.

no oxygen?

It's the airflow that has to go INTO the furnace to give the fire oxygen persay. I was told there is an opening near the bottom of the furnace that needs to be open to allow airflow. The air is going out through the chimney fine. The fire itself isn't getting any oxygen therefore it is smoldering and when I open the door smoke rolls out.

royal furnace

i have a royal wood boiler they look the same except the air duct,check to make sure the fan is powered or on , their is a little cover on the side of the fan open to 1/4 to 1/3 no more. it is hard to feel the draft by hand it blows more from the grate area and up ,coul;d feel mine but not as much as u would think, do not open the draft to far the stove will still draw when in the slumber stage and always make sure the door remains sealed. if the fan dont blow check the breakers or for a swith to turn on, also make sure the ash is cleaned and not into the grate( could hinder flow) heres some info.
anderson outdoor wodd furnance center ,plymouth wi, 262 339 0061 is the owners cell phone . jeff anderson owns the rights or patent know to this stove but this is the place or www.americanroyal.net reread you... chris

Last edited:
Fan

Ok. There's a small blower on the front of the furnace that doesn't seem to work. On the side of the furnace is a switch that when turned on operates the fan that sends the heat through the ducts.
The people we bought the house from disappeared literally the day we closed and no one knows where they went or how to contact them so I can't ask them ANYTHING! Frustrating really.

check the fan for power ,is this the only furnace or is thier another, may be tied to existing , make sure powers are on and the thermostat call for heat , this may fire the fan , first check the fan use test light. dont know how the thermostat on the forced air unit works but make sure it is turned up enough to fire the fan , mine aqua stat on mine i can turn down a n shut off the fan.

Ok. There's a small blower on the front of the furnace that doesn't seem to work. On the side of the furnace is a switch that when turned on operates the fan that sends the heat through the ducts.
The people we bought the house from disappeared literally the day we closed and no one knows where they went or how to contact them so I can't ask them ANYTHING! Frustrating really.

I have that exact same furnace, except mine is a boiler rather than forced air. First thing I'd check if I were you is that your thermostat is turned up high enough to turn the fan on. That draft fan is operated by the thermostat in your house. When the temp. in the house drops to whatever you have it set for, the fan turns on and feeds air to the fire. Once the house warms up, it shuts off and allows the fire to die down. If the thermostat is turned way down, this may be why the fan won't start.

If that is NOT the issue, then you have something else going wrong. Could be the fan motor is bad. I can tell you though, that I have never used my fan - only to establish a fire. I leave my thermostat turned way up and wired a switch to manually operate the draft fan at the furnace. i turn it on to get a good fire going and then shut the fan off. I leave my ash door open to allow natural draft. If the house gets too hot (which is seldom - big, old house), I simply go downstairs and close the ash door to reduce air getting to the fire. Some will say that this isn't safe, but use this method to get by until you can get the fan issue fixed. Just be sure to keep anything flammable well away from the ash door opening - which common sense dictates is a good idea no matter what.

Welcome to AS...woodburning forumn. Plenty of great folks to help you get a warmer home.

:cheers:

Back