Rules to storm scavenging wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think what you want. i don't give a rats ass. This is my livelyhood. we had verbal agreements with everyone for all our jobs. In CT that's as good as on paper. 3 of our jobs called me back within 6-18 hours to say they didn't need us to do it any more. These were ALL people who sought us out to clean up their properties after the storm. We didn't strong arm anyone into anything. They came to us, we bid them, we closed the deal and then the weekend warrriors fired up their saws and decided to be heros all for the wood. I understand helping a neighbor out maybe, but in all three cases "some guy in a pickup stopped by and said he'd cleanup and take the wood for free"

My point is, there is no need to go on private property. there is destruction everywhere, just pick them up out of the shoulder of the road. hell, you can even go to the town dump and haul it out after the town guys haul it in.
I know it has been awhile since this post was made but just one quick question how many of you tree Guys work on your own equipment if so then you are doing the same thing as the op of this thread which is trying to save yourself a little money even if it does take away from someone- elses buisness that is doing it full time. Just think of how much money some mechanic has lost by you greasing your own boom or changing your own oil what about the saw shop when you sharpen your own chain his kids probably had to skip a meal or two over that. :bang:

I know it has been awhile since this post was made but just one quick question how many of you tree Guys work on your own equipment if so then you are doing the same thing as the op of this thread which is trying to save yourself a little money even if it does take away from someone- elses buisness that is doing it full time. Just think of how much money some mechanic has lost by you greasing your own boom or changing your own oil what about the saw shop when you sharpen your own chain his kids probably had to skip a meal or two over that. :bang:

Not a fair comparison. Your analogy is like the homeowner doing the work himself where a "pro" would never get the chance to bid. Many people go to great lengths to learn a variety of crafts and trades to save money and time. Are you going to fault the farmer for cutting his own wheat rather than hiring a custom combiner?

Your analogy is like the homeowner doing the work himself where a "pro" would never get the chance to bid.

As a mechanic for 20+ years I think his statement is right on the mark. Far too many people bring a car into the shop looking for a diagnosis and estimate to get a repair, then take the diagnosis and have a friend, or brother, or less knowledgeable fix it guy perform the repair for a "substantial discount." An hour shop charge for diagnosis often has to cover more than an hour's worth of expenses and labor. Getting the diagnosis right can be the most challenging part of the job yet customers frequently balk at a bill which reflects the true cost of finding the right fix the first time. Shop owners hope to make the real money on the repair and we know when the estimate walks out the door without a commitment it's probably never going to return. Plus there's the guys who ask for free advice when you're at the store, or buying gas, or out to a restaraunt during the lunch hour, or spending the afternoon with the family. Many of these guys have no intention of bringing the vehicle in to pay for repairs but they have no problem asking for freebies and likely feel no guilt when they're done.

Many people go to great lengths to learn a variety of crafts and trades to save money and time. Are you going to fault the farmer for cutting his own wheat rather than hiring a custom combiner?

Nope. I often give free advice and will even lend a hand or a tool or do work for free for those who can't afford it. What I do not appreciate are people who misrepresent themselves looking for a discount, or people who seem to feel entitled to my help for free or for less because they simply do not want to pay or because they think it doesn't cost me anything to provide it. I always do the most work, for the least price, for the people who value my skills appropriately.

Besides, the analogy was not to fault the individual who wants to do the work and is willing to learn a trade or craft. The analogy was to highlight a possible double standard. A business owner should be aware that everyone benefits when money is exchanging hands. At least in theory. But complaining about someone "taking" his income wouldn't be right if he also refuses to spend money when there's a service to be rendered by another business.

I was working with BSD during these storms... these were jobs that were on the "to -do list" Before we could get to these jobs we were pulling trees off of houses, roads, and so forth. So you can all believe me that he is not a scrounger. Our convoy during this storm included up to 6 guys, a 70 ton crane with operator, 3 dump trucks, 2 tractors, and 1 chipper, plus I hold 2 arborist licenses.

I am coming late to this thread, but from what you have said you and your employer (friend?) were busy as heck. The objections of BSD are akin to my field, as a Software Developer that rents himself out once in a while, if I discussed with a potential client (and these home owners were potential clients) the possibility of work, until a statement of work was issued (a signed quote for services in this case) my potential client is free to do as they please. If I am already engaged and they end-up on the backburner and they seek resources elsewhere, then I have left income on the table because I did not have the resources to perform the work, but no one has "stolen" the work from me.

BSD was more than capable of approaching some would-be wood-chuckers and sub-contracting work out to them, then inspecting the final work himself to make sure the work was upto his standard. If sub-constracting was not an option, and you guys failed to get a signed statement of work, tough luck that is the way the cookie crumbles! You learn from your mistakes (money has a way of making you learn quickly!) and try not to repeat them.

Bottom line is, no signed agreement you are out of luck, what this former potential client does has ZERO to do with you (i.e. quite literally none of your business!).

Tes

You ever consider the fact that not everyone can afford to hire a tree service for cleanup after a storm? Guys that volunteer their time to help clean up and exchange their time for the firewood provide a service just like you do, they just happen to place more value on the firewood than on an hourly wage.In short, they are merely working for less money than you are.And where is the problem in that?

Damaged trees that are still a hazard to buildings and other property should be left for the pros, and that is why in most cases when doing cleanup my fees are on a sliding scale. When the tornado came through our town in April, I worked a little more than half of the time for free to help those that needed the help but couldnt afford it. A ten minute conversation with the homeowner and a quick look at their property, cars in the driveway, and their dress clearly told me if they were indigent folks who couldnt afford my $50 per man hour rate, or if they were financially able and just looking for a freebie. And I based my rates accordingly.

And the result?I handed out over a hundred business cards and work has been brisk all summer long because of it. I instantly earned a reputation of a fair guy willing to help others, and financially it was the best form of advertising I have ever done.1/3 of my business this summer has come directly from word of mouth after the storm, and in every case where I have gone to give an estimate since, the homeowner didnt even bother getting a second estimate. Almost all of them told me flat out that they had heard from a neighbor, friend, or relative that I was an honest business man, trustworthy, and charged only for the work performed.

Do a little thinking before you bash the volunteers next time. In the event that you ever suffer from a natural disaster and need the assistance of someone who has the skill and work ethic to help without a paycheck involved, you might be glad deep down inside that you are simply being handed a gift that was payed forward and you are simply being on the receiving end this time.

I know without a doubt you are thinking right now, "yeah, I have overhead man.I have boom truck payments, chippers to maintain,fuel, insurance, etc and they all dont come free" and your right.Maybe financially you are not able to fund any volunteer work. But dont bash the ones that are in a situation that allows them to volunteer their time, even if it means nothing more than a chance to stock up on some firewood.
Kudos for you! Outstanding!!

So are there rules to scavenging wood that has been downed my a storm? Specifically wood left by the road side. We got hit pretty good by Irene and she took down a lot of trees in my area. So the day after the storm I grab the truck saws and fuel and hit the roads around my area. First day struck out second day was decent small load of maple already cut to firewood size stacked at the curb with a free sign. Third day saw an uprooted oak about 18" and 25 feet long with free spray painted on it. Score I thought jump out grab the saw and go to work get it all cut and loaded and the brush stacked by the curb. I didnt know anyone was home till I was finished and loading the saws and haveing some water. The homeowner comes out and says thanks but arent you going to take the stump and rake up the saw dust. I was hot tired and a little on edge my reply was do I look like a tree service. The way I see it I just did this guy a favor now call a tree service and have the stump ground and get a rake for the saw dust. I dont think I was out of line at all. So what say you guys what are your normal rules for this I have never had the chance to get wood from a storm.

Case number 2 Kinda long but have to set up the scene.
I have/had a very large oak that was at the end of my driveway but across the street not on my property. If you want to get technical it was really on the towns property since they own so many feet in from the center of the road. This tree was 40 inches plus at breast height then about 12 feet or so up it split into two main stems and had a hugh canopy it was a very large very old beautiful tree till this storm the winds broke the rear stem off. That stem feel into the guys yard across the street i have no problem with him and as far as I know they dont have a problem with me. The extent of out conversations have been "hi" and a friendly wave in passing. I know they do not use wood but his brother in law who lives next door to him does. Well the day after the storm the BIL had that whole stem cleaned up and brush stacked. No harm no foul were not friends and they are related and its not my tree. The BIL and I get along and have helped each other out in the past when we need it. Fast foward to yesterday I come home from work and see 3 white X's painted on the tree I know this tree is now marked for removal just dont know when. Come home from work today and the tree is down. Turns out the town has big orange running around doing all the removals of the damaged trees. All they did was bomb this whole tree down into the guys yard and left a hugh mess. Taking my mailbox out in the process. Walk over to the BIL house and they are on vacation for the long weekend according to the house sitter. So I think about it for a few and say screw it grab the saws and the truck and head over. Get a lot cut in about an hour before rocking the hell out of a chain. Im in the process of swaping chains when the guys wife and daughter pull in they get out of the car and smile and wave and into the house thye go. Cool they dont seem to have a problem so I go about cutting and loading when the daughter was nice enough to bring me out a big jug of ice water. Sweet I was dying and about to walk up to my house for a drink we chat for a few and that was that and oh to be 16 again but thats another story. So I finish loading and head home. There is still a ton of wood im guessing at least 3 cords in the main trunk and then all the limb wood. I have no problem spliting wood with the BIL when he gets back he is better equiped to deal with the large wood has a tractor. I just dont want to see this tree end up in a land fill or tub grinder so a made a crude sign and stuck it to the butt end of the trunk that you can see from the road that says. "Please leave will use for firewood thanks the home owner" Yeah I know a little fib but cant hurt. So what does a town do in a situation like this wil they send log trucks and chippers around to pick this stuff up or will it fall on the homeowner. I would take tomorrow off to get more done but then I wouldnt get paid for the holiday on Monday.

Oh and in this case I have no problem cleaning up in case I do screw them out of a free yard cleanup.
I regularly pick up trees from storms and hydro and internet companies that cut trees on their property and I've got to know lots of the local workers and no one minds me scrounging damaged and downed trees. I wear all my PPE gear and an orange vest and put pilons out along the roadway.
If owner asks for extra stuff like the stumps or brush removed I usually tell them I can come back later...lol. I usually don't have time though.
I have piled brush at the road for some home owners that want trees down or trimmed in back yards etc.
I'm nice about it all and smile at them and talk nicely with respect to them.
One older lady wanted to pay me $100 once for taking out and small Maple tree, but I said no way, just make me some cookies...lol.
She called me back to clean her gutters and wouldn't take no for an answer that time and gave me $40.
I like helping my community

Back