Run away Mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got an old Mac 797 that revs up on its own without me giving it gas! It starts o.k & idles. After giving it full throttle, it will rev down a bit, then rev up again on its own. The throttle doesn't seem to be stuck, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it is doing this? The only thing I have done to the saw since I bought it was fix the gas tank leak. Any ideas?

It's sucking air through the crank seals. If you don't want to rebuild it, run a heavier mix, because the air from the seal side leans your fuel AND your lube. more oil == your saw won't die a screaming death.

Also, possibly look at the governor.

ok.. is she a 797 or a super 797? i work my big macs.. would be willing to rebuild another to run.

One thing I always do before I tune an old saw is replace the crank seals and check the gaskets. Its easy to do and cheap saves alot of time and frustration instead of chasing air leaks.

Originally posted by flipjack
I'm not sure if it's a super 797 or not. Any way of telling? I'll try adjusting the carb and see what happens.
real easy to tell.. big honkin carb or cube? cube == super

Back