Running a flywheel with no fins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furb

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Its not a chainsaw but I figured it would get more attention on here. Today I was running my TS400 and somehow managed to suck the end of my belt through the flywheel cover. It broke off all the fins off. I only need it to make cuts on sheet metal. Its all quick cuts. My question is will running it screw it up? Im not worried about the heat because its only going to be running 30 seconds at a time tops, but all the fins are not broken evenly and could be a balance issue.

Would grinding them down evenly correct the balance issue? From my understanding the cooling isn't that critical except under high heat conditions. For quick, infrequent cuts my guess is no problem.

Would grinding them down evenly correct the balance issue? From my understanding the cooling isn't that critical except under high heat conditions. For quick, infrequent cuts my guess is no problem.

I would think the balance would be the OPs biggest issue, given the short cut times. It would be almost impossible to get the flywheel balanced perfectly with grinding, but I wonder just how close the factory even gets them to start with.

The balance thing idk. You figure the get mortar or other dirt on them. I got one today with two fins broken off opposite of each other. I'll give that one a try. A new one it 120 bucks so I was looking for a cheap fix until I can get a good one. Thanks for the replies.

my husky 181 has 2 broken fins, is it quite critical to replace the flywheel ?

It really depends on the vibration you have from said damage

remember too it may still be out of balance that you wont even feel until your main bearings go out prematurely

If your going to keep the saw ... Id look around for a good used one and replace it when you can

mike

Ill bet if you find an all out race saw builder they would have the knowledge and experience to help you. My opinion, as long as all the fins are broke off flush run it and keep the heat issue in mind. Oh how in the world did you get your belt caught in there?:msp_confused:

Somehow it went between in a slot in the flywheel cover. I'll try even the broken fins out. I would like to know if anyone knows if they are even balanced from the factory like roanoker said

i thought being single cylinder they were only "balanced" at one particular rpm..... if it feels really unbalanced,maybe its not a weight issue, but more likely damage has been done to how true everything is running???

The crank is balanced against the reciprocating mass, the fins on the flywheel are there purely to move air for cooling (IMO)

Think of the poly (plastic) flywheel on some of the 660's.

The crank is balanced against the reciprocating mass, the fins on the flywheel are there purely to move air for cooling (IMO)

Think of the poly (plastic) flywheel on some of the 660's.

???? reciprocating = conrod/bearing + piston/pin/bearing + throw of crank????

so as the flywheel is only spinning around, not up and down, it doesnt out of balance the system??? would weight on one side just change the centrefugele(sp) effect????

Just from looking at several its seems too me some flywheels have and offset and are part of the eng balance. Others seem too be just a seprate part and definely need too be in balance.
It would be good if people like me who just don't know shut up.One thing allmost for sure is people will argue..

Is the fan plastic and bolted the a metal flywheel???? Or is it an all alum flywheel/fan? If it is plastic the metal core of the flywheel is balanced but not the plastic fan.....if it is all metal then there would be a balance issue as well as a heat issue. This type would be balanced as a whole unit. If you have on missing a couple fins that would get you by until you can get a new/used complete one.

???? reciprocating = conrod/bearing + piston/pin/bearing + throw of crank????

so as the flywheel is only spinning around, not up and down, it doesnt out of balance the system??? would weight on one side just change the centrefugele(sp) effect????

Don't a lot of r a c e saws run sans fins just to reduce inertia ?

It'd depend on the counterweights on the crank if you needed to offset weight the f/wheel, and I'm guessing offset weighting would introduce some interesting harmonics at certain revs too.

Last edited:
Most of these small two stroke engines are temperature reliant
just the carb being too lean it will kill the engine so no cooling fan will also kill a motor, and remarkably quick too! one long cut and she's toast.
get a replacement...
check out ebay there about $10-$30 (£8-£15)
think the TS 340 350 360 also fit yours, check out the IPL

Latest posts

Back