Running OWB with a generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Worked like a charm this weekend. I actually shut the generator down at around 10-11 PM each night (without power 65 hrs) and fired it up again at 6:30 AM. The OWB fired right up even after being in "smoulder mode" for the overnight. I have my set point at 180F. I never had a boil over (OWB was around 200F each morning due to circ pumps being off). Make sure your OWB circuit is included in your transfer panel circuits BEFORE you need it.

"I love it when a plan comes together"- Hannibal, The A Team

Very good. I have seen some posts elsewhere about furnaces not running on generators. Mine runs fine, but I have both the generator and furnace properly grounded.

I like my interlock. It may have been a rip off for what I got, but it was less than the transfer panels, UL approved, and gives me any circuit in the house. I just have to pick and choose to keep the load within the generator limits.

Without using an interlock, how can I add a pigtail to my OWB for generator power without it feeding back through the panel? Should I add the pigtail at the box and shut off the breaker when the generator is on?

I'm switching to an interlock

Very good. I have seen some posts elsewhere about furnaces not running on generators. Mine runs fine, but I have both the generator and furnace properly grounded.

I like my interlock. It may have been a rip off for what I got, but it was less than the transfer panels, UL approved, and gives me any circuit in the house. I just have to pick and choose to keep the load within the generator limits.

After this weekend, I will be going to the interlock so I can pick and choose as well. I do not like being limited to the 10 circuits on the transfer panel. Less $$$ and much more flexibility.

Without using an interlock, how can I add a pigtail to my OWB for generator power without it feeding back through the panel? Should I add the pigtail at the box and shut off the breaker when the generator is on?

The power company and code forbids relying on remembering to shut off the breaker. What you can do is set an outlet at the OWB, and connect the OWB to the pigtail. When you have power, plug it into the outlet. When the power goes out, move the plug to the generator. That will be just like having your refrigerator plugged into the generator. No connection at all to the housewiring. You could also wire up a double throw switch that could handle the load.

Worked like a charm this weekend. I actually shut the generator down at around 10-11 PM each night (without power 65 hrs) and fired it up again at 6:30 AM. The OWB fired right up even after being in "smoulder mode" for the overnight. I have my set point at 180F. I never had a boil over (OWB was around 200F each morning due to circ pumps being off). Make sure your OWB circuit is included in your transfer panel circuits BEFORE you need it.

"I love it when a plan comes together"- Hannibal, The A Team

Hey:
I did the same thing. Ran in generator for 8 days before I got my power back. "Smolder mode" worked fine. No boil over, about 190-200 in the AM. I have mine set on 180 also. I thought 185 was burning too much wood.
I have a Reliance whole panel interlock and was able to select whatever circuits I wanted. Having no street power for 8 days was merely an annoyance not a critical situation like is was for most people.

Back