Sachs Dolmar 100S S/N 021/367506

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Somebody handed me this thing and ask me if I could get it running for him. He said he thought it was a carburetor problem, but it looked like a mighty weak spark when I checked the plug. All my saws are Stihl or Old Homies. I have not seen any of these here "Down South" before.

1. Is it worth fooling with?

2. Any "Quick and Simple" suggestions?

3. Where do I send it to get it going IF it IS worth fooling with?

4. If it aint worth fooling with, anybody want it for the price of the shipping?

I cleaned the saw up, changed the plug, put fresh fuel in it, screwed the high and low speed needles all the way in and then backed them out first 1.5, then 1. No pops after many pulls on each setting. Pulled the plug many times between pulls, it was wet (indicating it is getting fuel). Dried it off (many times) blew out the cylinder (many times, to be sure it was not flooded), choke on, choke off, all the combinations I could thing of. Even tried a little ether, pulling the plug and drying out the cylinder after each change. No Good.

I get a faint blue spark from both the new plug and the old plug, so the new plug did not seem to make any difference.

I gave the thing One More Pull just before I was going to give up, and son of a gun it fired off. Ran like the fuel mixture was too rich, but died before I could make any adjustments. So I went through the whole process again with H and L jets on leaner settings. The saw would talk to me no more.

So. Any suggestions? Or should it join my Poulan Wild Thing at the bottom of the pond?

plug

Im not so sure how old this sachs saw is that your working on, but wanted to let you know that alot of the newer ignitions run resistor spark plugs.

This has to do with the kind of ignitions that are on the newer saws and with the epa demanding less and less pollution from any two stroke engine.

For instance, if this engine has an Rcj6y champion plug then the R indicates that there is a resistor contained within the plug. This has nothing to do with radio interference. The old points ignitions have difficulty firing resistor plugs.

Check the plug for its numbers and if its got an R plug in it, stop by the parts store and buy a new plain cj6 plug for the engine. Gap the plug at .020 and see what happens.

Best wishes,
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Both of the plugs I tried are "R" plugs. I'll try your suggestion.

I have no clue how old the saw is, but it at least has a chain brake and a plastic case, so its not as old as my Homie Super EZ, XL, or 330. It looks good, definetly has not been used much. I'll fool with it a little more.

Back