Sachs Dolmar KMS-4: Should I fix or should I sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD_Chuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the forum (I found it searching for info on the saw I am thinking of selling or fixing/keeping)...

I have a Sachs Dolmar KMS-4 wankel chainsaw that I bought about 10 years ago. Originally, it ran well and started easy. I cut some branches and a few small trees for my father, among a few other small jobs, then put it away (I was in the Navy and put it in storage). Now, I have gotten it out as I am preparing for my first child and need more storage space and triaging items that I may sell off. I tried starting it and it runs for about ten seconds, but then quits. I am thinking that it's just a carb varnish/dirt issue, but I don't know if I can get a carb rebuild kit for this beast. Is there any way I can still get some parts for this saw if needed? I really don't want to sell the saw, but if it's not worth my time, I may part with it.

They are kind of finicky, and hard to find parts for.

Why don't you consider selling it to one of the guys on here and buying a more useable saw?

They are kind of finicky, and hard to find parts for.

Why don't you consider selling it to one of the guys on here and buying a more useable saw?
I was thinking of that...I really like the saw but I need space and/or a more usable saw

Sell it.... Don't tinker with it, don't try to fix it. Just sell it. Take the money and buy a new saw.

I don't know what they are worth but I absolutely guarantee you can get a new saw with cash left over for what it is worth... Even non running

To the op.... are you a saw collector? If yes....keep the saw for sure. If no...and you just need a saw that works. ..sell it to definitive dave. He will treat you fairly and you will have enough cash to purchase a saw that you can buy parts for easily
I am not a collector, but I do like the idea of a Wankel saw and was impressed with the thing when I saw/bought it. I know emissions and fuel consumption killed this thing off, but Wankel engines are the perfect application for a Wankel Rotary IMO.

Unless you sell it to me hastily :)
Dave

If you decide to sell, let me know.
The guys at the fun Dolmar shop in NY say they run a lot better on leaded gasoline.
I got to run one at the GTG.
I wish we could still get leaded gas for many toys made during that era. I actually buy MTBE gas for my older engines (becoming harder to do) so I don't have trouble with ethanol and old gas.

Unless you sell it to me hastily :)
Dave

If you decide to sell, let me know.
The guys at the fun Dolmar shop in NY say they run a lot better on leaded gasoline.
I got to run one at the GTG.
The should only be run on LEADED gas.

Back