Sachs Dolmar KMS-4: Should I fix or should I sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MD_Chuck

MD_Chuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all, I am new to the forum (I found it searching for info on the saw I am thinking of selling or fixing/keeping)...

I have a Sachs Dolmar KMS-4 wankel chainsaw that I bought about 10 years ago. Originally, it ran well and started easy. I cut some branches and a few small trees for my father, among a few other small jobs, then put it away (I was in the Navy and put it in storage). Now, I have gotten it out as I am preparing for my first child and need more storage space and triaging items that I may sell off. I tried starting it and it runs for about ten seconds, but then quits. I am thinking that it's just a carb varnish/dirt issue, but I don't know if I can get a carb rebuild kit for this beast. Is there any way I can still get some parts for this saw if needed? I really don't want to sell the saw, but if it's not worth my time, I may part with it.

hseII

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
They are kind of finicky, and hard to find parts for.

Why don't you consider selling it to one of the guys on here and buying a more useable saw?

fordf150

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Sell it.... Don't tinker with it, don't try to fix it. Just sell it. Take the money and buy a new saw.

I don't know what they are worth but I absolutely guarantee you can get a new saw with cash left over for what it is worth... Even non running

MD_Chuck

MD_Chuck

ArboristSite Lurker
To the op.... are you a saw collector? If yes....keep the saw for sure. If no...and you just need a saw that works. ..sell it to definitive dave. He will treat you fairly and you will have enough cash to purchase a saw that you can buy parts for easily
I am not a collector, but I do like the idea of a Wankel saw and was impressed with the thing when I saw/bought it. I know emissions and fuel consumption killed this thing off, but Wankel engines are the perfect application for a Wankel Rotary IMO.

MD_Chuck

MD_Chuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Unless you sell it to me hastily :)
Dave

If you decide to sell, let me know.
The guys at the fun Dolmar shop in NY say they run a lot better on leaded gasoline.
I got to run one at the GTG.
I wish we could still get leaded gas for many toys made during that era. I actually buy MTBE gas for my older engines (becoming harder to do) so I don't have trouble with ethanol and old gas.