Safety Glove recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky gloves are no replacement for proper judgement and are junk for the money. Being smart will out-strip any gloves.

How in the aych-ee-double-hockey-stick does one whack the hands, backside or otherwise, while properly operating a saw?

Having built the crap I have, I have to wonder what special brand....

forget it.

Stuff happens. If you are always properly operating a saw, and there are no other intervening factors, you could run one buck naked - well at least from the neck down. Come to think of it, I believe they arrested some guy down in Knoxville, Tennessee just the other day for doing that. Ron

I wear MotoX gloves they have good padded palms and protect you knuckles and a velcro strap to torque em down

What I was thinking. Same way I feel about Kevlar boots. Chaps are lots thicker than either. But I'd be happy to hear about someone's experience where a Kevlar glove or boot stopped the chain and prevented injury.

Kevlar boots help stop injuries when limbing and bucking.
This vid shows how they're supposed to work, and has a good pic at 0:11 showing a foot injury

bullie.mov - YouTube

I've never come across kevlar gloves, but I do know that you can buy sleeves made out of the same stuff as chaps. Some guys wear them on their left arm if they're pruning with a chainsaw

Last edited:
Kevlar boots help stop injuries when limbing and bucking.
This vid shows how they're supposed to work, and has a good pic at 0:11 showing a foot injury

bullie.mov - YouTube

I've never come across kevlar gloves, but I do know that you can buy sleeves made out of the same stuff as chaps. Some guys wear them on their left arm if they're pruning with a chainsaw

Yeah those forearm chaps are actually a pretty valuable part of PPE, especially when using a top handled saw for fruit tree pruning. A brand called Clogger is sold here. Forearm injuries are quite common with saws like this and a number of pruning contractors have gone back to smaller rear handled saws due to the risk of injury. Just remember too that the average IQ of some of these pruning contractors is borderline retarded, hence the high injury rate when using anything sharper than a bowling ball.

FWIW an interesting tibit from the Superior Glove website:

"Common glove myth
Leather is good for abrasion resistance, which is why it is used in motorcycle jackets. However, it is so low in cut resistance that even a lightweight string-knit cotton glove is more cut resistant than the average leather glove.
"

I can't tell whether these gloves (385CS/381CS Lumberworks Chainsaw Gloves) are actually designed to stop a chain, or if the Kevlar is simply the same as that used in chaps (also note Kevlar must be in left hand glove only); I guess I'll keep on looking.

From website:

"Chainsaw Cut Resistant Safety Gloves | Chainstop Puncture Proof Glove

Superior’s LumberWorks chainsaw gloves are as comfortable, dexterous and good looking as a pair of our mechanics gloves, but feature an eight-layer lining of Kevlar® on the back of the left hand—a specific chain-arrest woven Kevlar®—that provides a level of cut resistance designed to withstand a chainsaw running at 3140 feet per minute. This meets the EN 381:1999 Class 0 for chainsaw cuts.
Other features include water-repellant, smooth, grain goatskin leather palms with built in anti-vibration reinforcement. This improves wear while reducing vibration transfer to the hand substantially. Elasticized velcro wrists improve comfort, while keeping out debris. Backs are made with stretchy nylon/lycra fabric, laminated with a water-repellant breathable membrane to keep hands dry. Choose from two styles: glove style, or one-finger mitt style.

Kevlar® is a registered trademark of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.
"

Ron

Boots vs. Gloves

I agree that chainsaw gloves are limited in usefulness, but what about chainsaw boots with 'kevlar' or steel toes and metatasal guard? Seems like suppliers carry several brands of the boots, but not of the gloves.

Latest posts

Back