Salt water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Question for any of you coastal guys.

Most of my wood comes down an river and beaches on the estuary where I live, some of it can get a right good dose of sea water.

Now to date this has never bothered me, but just a thought. Should I have any concern's.

Have a traditional brick stack and a cast wood stove.

The trace amounts of salt in the wood will probably give you some interesting colors during the burn but I don’t think it will be any more corrosive/less corrosive than non-salted wood.

Nope no worries. I live right on the coast and my house is more than 200 years old with 3 original brick and mortar chimneys. I've burned 2 woodstoves here for the 20yrs I've owned it and just kept the chims swept once a year. No real problems. That said, I have decided too install a stainless flex flue when I purchase and install a new wood stove into the center stack next year. While I'm at it I may do the kitchen cookstove too if I see that it works well. Not for draft really as I have loads up on this windy hill with 25-30' chimney's but more for peace of mind and safety. :cheers:

cheers guys, didn't think I had much to worry about, but better to check! Now all I need are some big tides to float my wood pile, or should I say raft closer to shore and I am set for next winter! will try to post pic's of my collection soon

The trace amounts of salt in the wood will probably give you some interesting colors during the burn but I don’t think it will be any more corrosive/less corrosive than non-salted wood.

+1

I have had plenty of green, and blue fires from drift wood. I like to burn a little on and off just for the color. I haven't seen anything negative from it.

cheers guys, didn't think I had much to worry about, but better to check! Now all I need are some big tides to float my wood pile, or should I say raft closer to shore and I am set for next winter! will try to post pic's of my collection soon

That would be neat to see how others harvest firewood. I live near Lake Erie and have seen some people get an odd log now and then but never a whole winters worth.:cheers:

That would be neat to see how others harvest firewood. I live near Lake Erie and have seen some people get an odd log now and then but never a whole winters worth.:cheers:

Yep same here. Actually there's a river right close too me that opens into the bay. This river was used up until the early 70s for log drives too a big saw mill a few miles inland (because of a falls). I swim in the river regularly in summer and there are quite a few logs still in the river, usually one end sunk in and one end bobbing. This summer I'm going to try and pull a few in too take home and mill into lumber. See what's what with them. If it's any good I'll make myself a Bass guitar body out of some. Figure the woods at least 40 years old or better already! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back