saw cutting crooked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
been through this before so i have changed the following, new stihl bar, new stihl chain and new sprocket, still cuts crooked, hangs a hard right, the only thing i haven't changed is the sclutch drum, it looks pretty warn, anyone else had this problem?

Clutch Drum should not do it, but replace it if it looks worn. Maybe you have got a bad batch of chain.

If the bar is straight and chain good, it should cut straight.

Gauge ok, don't have .050 on .063 bar?

Look to see if the chain is impacting anything, causing the left side to dull quickly. Make sure bar is properly mounted (flush) and mounting bolts are not bent in some way and make sure chain tension is correct.

If you are sharpening chains, make certain both side are equally sharp.

Could be your technique? Have someone else run saw and see if it does it too them.

Last edited:
just for giggles flip the bar over and see if it helps. a buddy of mine got a new ms280 and it cut circles from the dealer. He flipped the bar over and it started cutting straight.

Do chainsaws run upside down ? :biggrinbounce2:

Come on... Someone had to say it ! :angel:

Do chainsaws run upside down ? :biggrinbounce2:

Come on... Someone had to say it ! :angel:

2 stroke engines are designed to run at all angles..one of the beautifull parts of their design..as opposed to a 4 stroke engine that requires a separate oil sump to lubricate the pistons, crankshaft..etc..2 strokes get their lubrication from the oil mixed with the fuel..and do not have the need for a separate chamber to contain the crankcase oil..:greenchainsaw:

and about the whole saw cutting crooked..back when I got my MS290..the damn thing did it to me too..I went through a few chains..and finally got tired of it too..my best solution was to flip my bar over..and I file sharpened every tooth..and that did the trick..

Last edited:
this is what i've done, old chain old bar,new chain old bar, new chain new bar, nothing worked, replaced sprocket, then replaced clutch bell needed it anyway, nothing has worked, it gets about an inch into the wood then hangs a sharp right, so bad that it wedges itself in the log, also checked the bar studs, not bent, i don't want to give up, the saw is excellent shape.also checked and made sure the bar is sitting flat and it is.

wrong guage match between bar and chain

I inherited an old av 15 from a neighbor and it had a bar and chain on it..didn't need it ...so tore it apart..everything looked ok..needed some handle parts and nick nacks..replaced that from the trusty dealer..fired it up..ran great..hit the wood...got just past the depth of the chain and hooked. bound the chain tight. did that about 4 or 5 times..put the bar and chain off my ms200 on there..worked fine. That would be my best guess. Good luck

I had trouble with my 088 this summer cutting to the right. Turned out my depth gages were not consistent. Lower on one side of the cutters ( left or right cutters) and it pulled until I corrected it with a slow and consistent file job.

Kevin

You know it's a tough day when you have to explain your jokes....

He said turn the bar over... I joked that meant running the saw upside down rather than taking the bar off and flipping it over....

Oh well........ :deadhorse:

New bar & new chain... still cutting circles?

Check chain guage. It's the only logical option. I've seen a mismatch MANY times on hobbiest / homeowner / non-pro user's saws. The guys selling bars and chain in the big box stores aren't the best at understanding this spec.

how about the chain gauge. He meant the thickness of the drivers and the groove in the bar not being the same not the raker height. make sure your chain and bar are the same gauge (.043, .050, .058. .063)

Another thing that has caused problems, are both cutters sharpened even???

The left vs right cutters.

Keep us posted.

Kevin

Tensioning

Make sure the chain is not too loose, either.

My old Poulin starts to show more "angle" in the cuts whenever the chain has loosened too much from regular use.

I'll call that a manufacturer's "feature" that went unnoted in the owner's manual :)

stopped and bought another new chain on the way home from work, presto! cuts strait as an arrow, after looking closer at the last new chain"the crooked cutter" i noticed the left teeth all the way around as you are looking at the top of the bar while holding the saw have a blunt point on the tooth as the right side teeth have a nice sharp tooth, must have been that way from the factory, thanks so much for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back