Saw decision , can'T deciede !!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a new late model 346xp ne at the beginning of this wood burning season so I could feed my OWB. It replaced my old homelite super ez thats getting up in age to say the least . I use the small 50cc the most I thought except for bucking the occasional tri axle load of oak logs . I have a bigger saw homelite vi955 I thought for the big stuff , but man that saw is HEAVY , I through it on the scale the other day and its 20 pds without the bar and chain !!!!! This just could be a bad case of CAD or maybe just trying to be cheap not sure .I could go two different ways here and can't deciede . I just break down and get a 2159 and trade in the homelite OR eliminate having to haul around two saws two different size chains , maintenance on both saws and somehow trade the 346 on a 359 and be done , one saw to do it all . If I would have known how light weight these new saws are I think I could have been happy with a 60cc saw for everything. Adding the 2159 seems a little over kill as the 346 does ok on 75 % of my cutting . Also I don't want to take a beating on my new 346 . OR I keep the 346 and lug the heavy homelite around , I find I could use just a little more power when bucking bigger logs than the 346 has .

Last edited:
Put an 18" on the 346. It will do 85%+ of your cutting unless you go after a lot of big big stuff. Keep the old Homie for the big stuff, a second new saw won't be used much and wouldn't be worth much now that you have the 346.

Or just hit the gym, the Homie will feel like a feather after awhile, but you're talking to a guy who runs a 575 with one hand.

Keep the 346xp or else you'll regret it. Check the Tradin' Post here on AS for deals on new and used saws. PB has a Stihl MS361 there for less than a new 346xp. If you want to stay with Husky, look for a 262xp, 272xp, 365, 372xp, 385xp, etc. I have skipped the 60cc saws and gone to 70cc for more power with only a minor weight difference.

Use the light saw for the light work, and a heavier, more powerful saw for the big stuff. Keep the Homie just to remind you how much saws have changed.

i agree, the 359 will do it all more versitle than the 346. and weighs only slightly more.

the 359 is cheaper you could get a 18 and 24" bar for what the 361 will cost with just a single 20" bar.

and it weighs the same and cuts just as fast.

the 359 with short and long bar is like 2 saws in one

Put an 18" on the 346. It will do 85%+ of your cutting unless you go after a lot of big big stuff. Keep the old Homie for the big stuff, a second new saw won't be used much and wouldn't be worth much now that you have the 346.

Or just hit the gym, the Homie will feel like a feather after awhile, but you're talking to a guy who runs a 575 with one hand.
Now AOD, You know it's not safe to run any saw with one hand.lol

I don't need a 50 and 60cc saw, if I were to have only one saw though it would be a MS360 or 361 with 20" and 25" bars.

WOW, been awhile since I seen anyone recommend the old 036/360. Best bang for the buck imo. The 361 is nice, but carries a higher pricetag.

I'm not a fan of the 359 in stock form

I'm agreeing with AOD. Keep the the both. Bigger bar on the 346xp. Or keep the 346xp and find a good used bigger saw. Something like a 262xp or 261 or even a 372xp. But a 372xp with bar and chain will come close to 20 pounds.

If it was me though I would just use the Homie and build my muscles up. Then go to the Huskie after I was tired. Try to use the Homie a little longer each time.

When I first started cutting I was useing a Husky 350 and it would wear me out. I was lucky to get a rick in 2 hours, cut and loaded. Now I use a 395xp all day and doesn't bother me. I'm fell, block, clean up, walk up and down the hill and hollows and even pack large blocks and it doesn't wear out like it use too. I can average a rick plus an hour all day. Big saws are good excercise.

WOW, been awhile since I seen anyone recommend the old 036/360. Best bang for the buck imo. The 361 is nice, but carries a higher pricetag.

I'm not a fan of the 359 in stock form

:agree2: - not much added power over the 346xp either, but more weight difference than the specs tell you....

I guess it comes down to exactly what size wood your cutting and personal preference on saws , 3 or 4 different views there , thanks for the ideas guys , I hate to get rid of the 346 its a good saw and I would take a beating on it to try and trade it . Would the 18'' bar hurt the power much ?? Wish it was a 55cc saw .!!!!! There you go a 346xp new new edition with 55cc engine .!!! PERFECT !!!!

I'm in nearly the same situation as the op Chugbug and leave nearby so I'm sure we're seeing similar wood. Have a new 346xp with 18" bar which is straining a bit on on some larger stuff...been looking at 372xp or jred equivilant....then the next day I tell myself it's fine and just let the 346 do the work, it is technically doing the work but straining. I don't want to get rid of my 346 though, just seems like to small of jump to get into the 60cc range...but the 70cc's are more than I want to spend...ugh...let us know what you decide chugbug :)

I guess it comes down to exactly what size wood your cutting and personal preference on saws , 3 or 4 different views there , thanks for the ideas guys , I hate to get rid of the 346 its a good saw and I would take a beating on it to try and trade it . Would the 18'' bar hurt the power much ?? Wish it was a 55cc saw .!!!!! There you go a 346xp new new edition with 55cc engine .!!! PERFECT !!!!

I'm running 18" 3/8 .050 with LGX on mine, and it cuts fine. 5cc wouldn't make enough difference. You would do better to look for a used 70cc saw. Leave the 16"? on your 346, and get 20" and 24" for the bigger saw.

I'm just sold for life on the husky air filtration system that I want to stay with husky but I know I'm missing out on a good all around saw with the 361 . Just like Slick said the 346 strains a little on the bigger stuff .Never ran a 359 so I'm not sure how much more power I would notice and it definitely isn't enough of a jump if I keep the 346 . I would agree the 346 and the 372 are maybe the best pair of saws going but expensive !!!!!!! I didn't think the 372 would be anywhere near 20pds ,its listed as 13.4 w/o chain and bar ?? with 3 pounds for chain and 20'' bar though your at 16.5 !!!!! sound right ??

If you go Husky go with a 372. I have one and I wouldn't want anything less for big wood. I have a 359 and it's a good saw but it just doesn't cut it on the really big wood.

If you mod that 359 you will have no need for a 70cc saw, that's how good they are when modded. I know I have a modded 2159! it takes a 7900 to beat it in big wood. It is that good when ported makes the mighty 361 look like a toy!( but if you ask me stock they were equal) Yes I have run it against the 361 not even close.Stock they seamed the same.
I was going to get a 2171 but made the jump to a 7900 as the 2159 when modded cuts so well, and I don't feel it would have been a step up going with a stock 2171.

Last edited:
does the printed horsepower number realy mean that much, husqvarna recomends a 16-24" bar on the 359, and 20" max lenght on the 346. even thought the printed numbers on the 359 arent 20 horses over the 346, it being 60cc(correction 59) saw will hold onto its chain speed in the would while the 346 will start to bog don.

my 359 muffler modded and ported can take 150lbs of my weight and hardly slow it down while wearing 24" bar and sharp RSC chain, and cutn wood past bart ip by 10"s

i guess since i have cad i better buy 346 and compar the two while wearing 20" bars.

i ran my 359 with the 24" bar in stock for and it did well. you just couldnt push on it near as much but it did plenty good. probly how 361 would also run in big wood wearing ad 24" bar.

buy them all. thats what i want to do.

good luck
Evan

I'm agreeing with AOD. Keep the the both. Bigger bar on the 346xp. Or keep the 346xp and find a good used bigger saw. Something like a 262xp or 261 or even a 372xp. But a 372xp with bar and chain will come close to 20 pounds.
my 371xp with full tanks and a 24 inch bar comes in at 15.6 pound on the scale at my friends work... the 371/372 is an excellent saw.my 2 cents, keep the 346 and get a use 372 or 044/440/046

Back