Saw fixed but doesn't have much umpfff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got my wildthing back from the hardware store last week. He replaced the carb attachment/manifold and then supposedly tuned it.

I lost one decent sized limb in the recent ice storm and thought I'd make short work of it with my new, energized saw. It cut OK on the small branches, but when it got to the bigger stuff, probably 8-10 inches in diameter, it would bog down in the cuts. Any ideas? Here are some of mine, comment freely:

1. Brand new, Stihl PM chain. Cuts noticeably larger chips than the previous safety chain that came on the saw. Could this be bogging it down?

2. I want a new saw so badly that it has always run like this but I just didn't notice it.

3. The guy at the store knows I want a new saw so he used his own creativity in tuning the saw.

4. The clutch cover needs to be replaced because the tensioner screw is shot. The chain was really loose on the bar and it was hard to get it to "not spin" at idle. So, maybe his adjustments were honestly wrong (but wouldn't that just be on the low end?)

I'm not really sure. I do recall that it revved a fair amount higher at full throttle than it does now. I'm thinking of taking it to a different shop, the one I will buy my next saw from, and see what they can come up with in the tuning department. It shouldn't take them too long so hopefully I'm not looking at too much dough. Let me know what you think is my best option. Thanks again, Greg

Does the wildthing "4-stroke" a little at WOT or does it race really high? If it races, the hi speed screw may be too lean.(Too far screwed in) The chain turning at idle could be just a slight LA adjustment or the low speed screw too lean. How does it accelerate?

if you want a new saw....

why spend another dime on this one.. Rev it up and turn the H screw in til it runs good.. or blows up.. whichever comes first,

It doesn't race at WOT. It seems to accelerate fine, it just doesn't seem to have the RPM's on top end. Out of pure ignorance I have to ask what you mean by 4 stroking as I've been married for quite a few years and that could mean a number of things.....

One thing I forgot to mention. When he was working on it, he poured out my 40:1 and replaced with his 50:1. I went and bought brand new gas and mixed new 40:1 and replaced his 50:1 since my saw recommends 40:1. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Once I tightened up the chain, I was able to adjust the low end idle a little higher so it would stay running but the chain wouldn't rotate.

I think I've covered everything so, keep those responses coming. Thanks, Greg

The hi side may be too rich then. At WOT, turn the hi speed screw slowly in until the saw four-strokes(which will sound more like a four stroke motor with an exhaust valve). This is where you want the hi speed.

If you get it too lean then forget about your carb adaptor, You'll be looking at a new piston and cylinder.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Think I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and see what they can do. Thanks, Greg

I forgot...I KNEW there was something when I was out today
I did get the Husky one out
The mag is pretty clapped out but I can send the whole thing if you want it still works but is missing some lower cover plate the bar nut area is fine

Oh my god, you're hijacking my effin thread. And.......I was asking about a wildthing saw. How could you disgrace Poulan, hehehehe. Seriously though, I need some more feedback on what might be wrong with this thing besides the fact that it is a Poulan. Thanks again, Greg

Use the Wildthing for a doorstop! Go get yourself a comparable Stihl or Husky or Dolmar or whatever fits your budget and your cutting needs. You know you want to anyway;) so just go do it.

Nah I ain't hijacking your thread! It's the only way i can get hold of PEST. There is nothing wrong with wildthings or poulans other than the colors. If you still want ideas for your saw, check your muffler screen. it mat be clogged, but the saw would sound a lot quieter.

Damn, you all aren't any help. That what I get for asking a bunch of addicts about their opinions, lol. Yes, I want a new saw more than ever. But, I'd sure like to get this "wildthing" running better. So, let me ask again, from my 1st post, what do you think the problem might be?

Well it is a brand new chain isn't it? Check your depth gauges, the chain may be taking too much of a bite.

And if you want it running better, open up the muffler.

It can't be an air leak, because then it would race at idle.

And if you really want a new saw so bad, JUST GET A NEW ONE ALREADY!!!!!!:)

Damn, you all aren't any help. That what I get for asking a bunch of addicts about their opinions, lol. Yes, I want a new saw more than ever. But, I'd sure like to get this "wildthing" running better. So, let me ask again, from my 1st post, what do you think the problem might be?

From you're first post:

It sounds like the carb is out of adjustment on th high side, not reving enough. I sounds like the clutch migh be getting worn out from the adjuster not working poperly causing undo wear on the clutch. Find another shop and have it looked at again. Make sure they put a tach on it!!!

Too rich, and the chain may be taking too big of a bite and the saw lacking power to do it. However, I'm sure if you leaned out the saw a bit, you would find some of that missing power. Probably best to have the dealer do it. Change in mix may have had some effect, but not all of it. Dealer is probably trying to play it safe with the adjustments.

Mark

I'll take it to the "new" shop tomorrow. I'm sure they can tune it up to where it needs to be. Thanks, Greg

I am working on a WIldthing for my uncle. To be honest they are a POS. His has no power and the chain, it is the poorest example of a chain I have seen, seems to be a 91 series Oregon unless I am wrong. Trade it in quick on a real chain saw!
Greg Harrison

Latest posts

Back