Saw is cutting curved

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddy M Dawg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a MS290 that is cutting curved. I have used it regularly and start the cut straight but as it cuts it moves from right to left on the log. The bar is straight. Could the bar be worn out or something else?

Either the rails of the bar are worn unevenly or the the left cutters of the chain are sharpened differently than the right cutters. It could also be that the groove in the bar is worn allowing the chain to cock sideways. Any of these conditions can be fixed.

Sure it can. If the rails are worn unevenly you just need to dress them until they're even and square again. This is general maintenance. If the groove is worn too wide, the rails can be pinched back together. My Dad's 046 was doing the same thing and cuts nice and true again. Rail File. Rail Closer. I own both of these tools.

put a brand new chain on it, or a freshly, professionally ground one. If it still j-cuts it may be the bar.

Be sure that you hold the top handle at the balance point and not to the side.

Probably the chain. If one side of the cutters, say the ones with the sideplate on the right, are damaged just a bit, it will J-cut.

Bars can be trued up, though some would say its not worth it on some of the smaller, cheaper to replace bars.

Welcome to the site...

I have to ask,,and please dont take this the wrong way too...Are you doggin the saw??? I found out so many years ago if you try to shove it tru the cut,,it aint gonna end up straight...I did that with my Dad's mac. till I learned to let the saw cut and not try to push it tru.....

Dressed it up

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I stopped by my dealer today and he showed me how to grind off the raised exterior edges. BL, you were correct, the bar hadn't ever been serviced. It's working great again.

:clap:

Lots of threads on this - use the search function if the answer isn't already here (didn't read the posts).......

Best way to avoid the problem is to file off wire edges before they really appear - same with heighty differenses (LOL), and file both sides of the chain to the same angle and length.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I stopped by my dealer today and he showed me how to grind off the raised exterior edges. BL, you were correct, the bar hadn't ever been serviced. It's working great again.

:clap:

Good deal. Did they dress or grind the rails flat and level as well? That should probably be done too.

Latest posts

Back