saw logs vs verneer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep air up and air down. he figured that load to weigh about 23 to 24 ton. Just a wee bit over gross lol

The truck is a 379 pete with a 550 C15 cat and an 18 spd and a way older than the truck and wore out 120C prentice loader.

The butt log didnt split . ok well mostly didnt split when the top hit the ground, the crotch collapsed and that split it from the crotch down

I bored out the center from the face cut so as not get get any pull outs. And yes I have a short bar 20". Probably also short on brains at times lol. Never figured I would need much more of a bar then that. I guess its time to get out the 372 and get a 24" bar on it.

Ive been boring out the centers now for some time at least on logs I want to sell. On yard trees I dont bore them out in the center. Depending on the location and lean of the tree I might bore in behind the hinge and cut my way out to the back side and leave a trigger so I have control or as much control as possible. The company I worked for also had a tree service so I got to learn a few tricks there. Even in an open field they would take a tree down from the top to the ground with the bucket truck. Which I still dont understand. Why not just drop it? lol But anyway I am almost done with the big trees on this job now I have about 2 more loads to cut.

I had a veneer sale today. This buyer was really fussy on the cherry. Out of 15 cherry logs he only took 3. But he took 16 out 20 red oak logs. Next monday a little less fussy buyer is coming for the "rotary" or 3 sided logs and from what I understand he will take 99% of whats left. I didnt do to bad for my first time out.

Did you ma age to pull any 5 dollar stuff? Just curious. Quite a few of the buyers around here show 5+ dollar sfor high grade, iI'm sure they pay it too but you just never can quite have a nice enough piece to get the grade. I figure the number is just there as a lure.

No I didnt . It has to be perfect like PERFECT. Of course this wont happen because with the cherry there is always going to be gum or mineral streaks or bird peck or some other defect that the guy is going to get you on. Just my observations so far .

I had a veneer sale today. This buyer was really fussy on the cherry. Out of 15 cherry logs he only took 3. But he took 16 out 20 red oak logs. Next monday a little less fussy buyer is coming for the "rotary" or 3 sided logs and from what I understand he will take 99% of whats left. I didnt do to bad for my first time out.

hey, cherry down here gets shake bad I always thought they were getting me on it till I had some sawed up it came apart like broom straws them guys know what their lookin at better than me any how but every tract is different you never know for sure what ya got till ya start cutting it
and like I always say any grade is better than saw

Been a while sence last post. I have been busy. I have found it better to have atleast 3 bidders if you can. It has been a long winter for me. Wish it would of been colder. I have sold the winter cut. Had 1 load that averaged 5.60 per foot. Was a real nice mix of oak and walnut. Total winter cut averaged was 1.13 per bf. I am real happy. Land owner is happier. They paid off their land and new house.

Ray

Latest posts

Back