Saw Model ? Chain type?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Trapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up an old Homelite XL. Excellent condition and runs/idles great. I was wondering if the model designation is simply "XL" or if there's more to it. I'll describe the saw: Small,Red, top handle, 16" Oregon bar" , Left side in circle says " Homelite XL crafted in USA" , Right side in rectangle says "Homelite XL", Adjustable oiler from 1 - 4 , Fuel and bar oil tanks very close together on Left side w/ black lids.
Can you folks tell me if there's more to know about the model than just "XL" ?

Also, the chain that's on it has 60 DL's but it's loose and it's adjusted all the way out. Thinking it may be strecthed a bit I had my dealer make me a new chain with 60 DL's. It fits perfect but the tensioner is adjusted all the way out. What number of DL's is standard for this particular bar/saw ?

We use one about like it, a Super 2 VI. 59 drivelinks of Oregon 91VG (S59) should fit the bill here for a 16" bar. Mine came with a a loop of Oregon 72 chain on it. :dizzy: The chain cut good, the saw wouldnt pull it. It is light, easy to handle goes up in a tree when I do and the boys like it for brush. It isnt enough saw for big stuff but I have been known to put it to the task if thats all I had with me on an unexpected moment of wood gathering. It stays in the trunk of the car till we go out to cut, just because.

Last edited:
Most all those Homelites used 3/8 pitch. Some 'bar lengths' will vary a link or two - The 20" on my Stihl has 72 drivelinks, but the 20" on my XL 400 Homelite has 70. Both are 3/8 pitch.

59 DL's, good to know. Is that 3/8 pitch ?
Yes, It is 3/8" pitch. Both Oregon 91 and 72 are 3/8" pitch and 0.050 width. 91 VG chain is a smaller kerf than the 72D and cuts easier because it takes smaller bites. The Oregon Chain site has an easy to use guide for bar, chain and sprocket selection here

If it just had real bucking spikes it would be more useful. It does the job it was intended for, thats what matters.

When you get ready to put a new sprocket on it there are 4 screws that hold the motor in the case. 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top. These have to come out to loosen the engine enough to change sprockets.

Just don't do what I did, put bar oil in the gas tank, and gas in the bar oil tank. On an old Homelite I had the front tank (bar end) held the gas and the rear tank held the bar oil, I was in a hurry and filled each the wrong way. It was backwards compared to most saws.

Last edited:
They could have done something a little different there with the bar lube. It is a bit close to the handle. I re-use 1 quart gear lube containers for bar lube (ND 30w). The extended tip makes it easier to get it in there and less on the saw.

Last edited:
Once again my questions have been answered and I learned something to boot. And yea, the plastic "dogs" leave a lot to be desired but for trimming and brushing I think it'll do fine. I already have a 24-7 truck saw so this little baby's gonna be my 24-7 car trunk saw.

Back