Saw opinion: 262xp or 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of yet another saw. This is a big if right now, but I thought I get some opinions on which saw.

The 262 is in excellent shape with new piston and rings. It's also has a woods port, exhaust and timing mod.

The 385xp is stock it's also in excellent shape, but the plastic is dark.

Both saw have the asking price of 450, but I think I can get the 385xp down some. I think the 262 is more or less firm.

I know I can convert my 261 to a 262, but I have someone willing to give me what I paid for my 261, so I may sell it.

The 385xp isn't a size I really need since I have 3 saws in 70cc and 3 in the 90cc. I think 80cc will be an odd size. But who knows maybe I'd like 80cc's.

I think I would get the 262XP, unless you have a real need for a 80cc+ saw which most people in Indiana don't. You already have a fleet of nice 70cc saws and they should be more than enough for general tree work around these parts. 262XP is a versatile and very desirable saw, IMHO.

Scott

The 7900 aint far off the size of the 385.

Im impressed with my ported 262XP apart from the outboard clutch and front chain adjuster!
But you have a 261 so will be used to it.

I would pass on both and get a nice 50cc saw brand new. You have the other areas covered well, and while the 350 is a really good saw(especially for the price) , a pro 50cc saw is still a lot nicer. :givebeer:

The only problem I see with a 50cc saw is I haven't pick my 350 up in months. I don't even hardly use my 372xp any more. I just like big saws. They feel better to me.

I've always wanted a 262xp, but I'm afraid I may not pick it up much at all either and the 385xp does seem like a strange size.

Almost all my cutting is done with my 395xp.

So either saw I get will still collect a lot of dust.

Back