saw repair question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asthesun

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. point me in the right direction if thats the case. this is my ms 250. the threads on the head where the sparkplug goes in are stripped and i'm trying to remove cylinder/head from the body. i took everything in the way off and have removed the flywheel from the other side by tapping the shaft off of it. do i do the same for the clutch assembly? i dont want to slam on it with a hammer unnecessarily. is there a special tool for this? my plan is to take the cylinder to a machine shop and have a coil/sheeve put in there to accept the spark plug again. if they cant, i'll just keep it for parts.
DSCN1576.jpg

I would post this in the chainsaw forum. You'll have lots of folks there to answer your question. Good luck.

Scott

asthesun,

You need a 'piston stop' - a tool that goes in through the spark plug hole and out the exhaust hole, to stop the piston from moving in the cylinder (thereby stopping the crank and clutch from turning).

There are plastic ones sold by Stihl (about $2 - 4) at a Stihl dealer, or there is a metal one that threads into the spark plug hole (maybe not the best for your situation).

Other guys feed a bunch of rope into the spark plug hole to do the same thing - do a search for piston stops on this site and you will get a whole bunch of information.

Once you have the piston stopped from rotating, you can remove the clutch by using your scrench or a socket wrench. ****It comes off clockwise****.

Good luck.

Philbert

color me confused, but why are you trying to remove the clutch in order to take the cylinder off?

it didnt seem to want to come out. i removed the bolts from the bottom and the flywheel and the darned thing wouldnt come out of the body. i was successful in removing the clutch and the cylinder, now the crankshaft assembly doesnt want to come loose from the cylinder. i'm pretty sure its just stuck by the gasket/glue that held them together, i'll monkey with it tomorrow and price machine shops before i worry about it too much, i already bought a new 250. that one lasted like 3 years, not bad for daily commercial use if you ask me. it was also like 2/3 ms 210 parts i had stripped from my old saw

Latest posts

Back