Saw Shops....What are your expectations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still a newbie but I look for a shop that is honest and fair. I know everybody has to make money, and I accept that I will be spending money. That's business. In my line of work, typically, my new customers are coming to me for something small to see how I conduct business and to get an ideal of my quality of work. Only after they are happy with me doing a maintenance do they return for a $5000 clutch or something like that.

My first experience with a saw dealer wasn't real positive. They are 2 miles from my house so the drive isn't the problem. I had gone on Stihl's dealer website and reserved some goodies. When I went to pick them up, the price was almost 40% higher. I asked why, and they said the website prices are never right. Hmm.....OK. I found the next closer dealer which was a JD dealer, that carried Stihl also. Their prices matched the website perfectly. I have heard of car dealers pricing parts on a matrix scale, but for a 6 pack small bottles of mix oil to cost $25 is a little ridiculous. I now drive the extra few miles to buy my stuff, because they know their stuff, have an inventory, and treat me well.

I did find a large power equipment dealer that handles all things outdoor that had everything from MS180s to 660s on the shelves, along with the competing brands with just as good of a selection. Trimmers, blowers, pole saws, and accessories, all on display. I had 4 employees say hi when I walked in and asked if they could help me(it was a huge store, and a long walk to the parts counter). I took the long route so I could look at some bigger saws, and one of the guys came over and in a very non-pushy approach asked if he could take anything down for me to hold(I had my 8 month old daughter with me). After giving him back a 660 with a 36" bar, I was impressed when he asked what parts I was looking for and he told me he was actually one of the parts guys who was given a heads up I was coming to the counter.

I guess this is a long winded story about how I just want to be treated with the same respect I give them, and have people with knowledge willing to answer any questions.

Nick

I had gone on Stihl's dealer website and reserved some goodies. When I went to pick them up, the price was almost 40% higher. I asked why, and they said the website prices are never right. Hmm.....OK. I found the next closer dealer which was a JD dealer, that carried Stihl also. Their prices matched the website perfectly.

It's possible that first dealer wasn't pulling your chain. It's true the powerchord website isn't always accurate, especially when they have price changes. I've noticed on certain occasions, it took months to get the pricing correct. Could also be the other dealers selling at the old powerchord prices don't know the prices went up.

On second thought, there are never any 40% changes!

If you arent dead set on a Husqy and are willing to drive to Waynesville, head west a tad more and hit up Macon Rental in Franklin. That's my local shop and they have awesome customer service. They deal Dolmar, Efco and Jonsered chainsaws. I buy everything there and couldn't be happier with them. Sounds like your guys down there don't need customers!

660's are all they have in stock?? lol. we ordered in an 880 for a guy with no deposit and he never came and got it. now it sits on a table between the front door and the parts counter. 12 people a day stop and pick that thing up. good ice breaker and a reason to start talking stihls. not to mention we've actually managed to sell 2 of them in less than a year.

If you arent dead set on a Husqy and are willing to drive to Waynesville, head west a tad more and hit up Macon Rental in Franklin. That's my local shop and they have awesome customer service. They deal Dolmar, Efco and Jonsered chainsaws. I buy everything there and couldn't be happier with them. Sounds like your guys down there don't need customers!
Having just seen the other thread about the new Jonsered 2258-60, you can go there to check em out then they hit ground!

Not dead set at all, just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. My first saw was a J-red 2050 TURBO:biggrin: Traded that in with boot for my Olympyk 980 (still have). So your dealer covers two of my favorites. Franklin isn't that far away. Fish Nantahala River, Cheoah, Claderwood almost on a monthly basis. I may get in touch about hours and such. Heck, I drive all the way to Sevierville, Tenn to get my tranny serviced at Chip's tranmission. Heard great things, had them do the rebuild, service was unbelievable, and is my first priority. I may need to stretch out the legs on the TDI one weekend:msp_thumbup:

Shea

You fish the upper Nant, above the rafting put in. I aint a fisherman, but I see much more going on up there than on the rafting area...prettier too! Ever check out the Little Tennessee?

660's are all they have in stock?? lol. we ordered in an 880 for a guy with no deposit and he never came and got it. now it sits on a table between the front door and the parts counter. 12 people a day stop and pick that thing up. good ice breaker and a reason to start talking stihls. not to mention we've actually managed to sell 2 of them in less than a year.

I don't think there are any trees in the Chicagoland suburbs that would require a 48"+ bar. And the rich guys that have to buy the top of the line everything have no business wielding an 880 in their half acre subdivision lots.

Nick

stihl

there are 7 husky dealers in my area and all but 2 only carry the homeowner models. the other 2 carry a large selection of the xp models. there are only 2 stihl dealers in my area, and i only deal with one of them, they are never pushy and carry everything from an ms170 up to 660. i have seen a guy buy an 880 from them before. most of the tim they just give you the usual questions when you walk in.

Last edited:
Back