Saw will only cut about 3"-4" into a tree (sideways)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1turf

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a noobe to this site and I am looking for a little info that may help me out.

Let me start by saying I have been cutting trees for over 25 years now so I do have experience in trimming, felling and hurricane cleanup (Katrina).

I have a Stihl Chainsaw that will cut fine straight up and down but if you turn it over on its side to cut a pie it will only cut into the tree about 3"-4" before it seems to stop cutting anything in the heart of the tree. The bar is a 26" I believe but I have a 44" for flush cutting stumps also. the larger blade work well for the first 1-15 stumps but it started doing the same thing that the shorter one now does. We have sharpend the chain and checked the adjustments on the saw but nothing I have tried short of a new bar and chain has helped. I thought that maybe someone with more experience then myself could shed some light on this problem for me. Thanks in advance.

Randy

I have had this happen. I had a chain that I sharpened so far back that it made the kerf too thin in conjuction with a slightly worn bar. I would get a new bar and chain, or see if your local shop has a rail closer to repair your old bars.

Yep, that sounds like what is happening. Going through the same thing with an old Poulan 3700 right now. I checked the rails on the bar, looks like the .050 bar would take a .063 chain easily! Also, grind or file the burr on the bar.

If bar and chain prob. explain why it cuts up and down but not sideways?:confused:

You ever hear of Gravity? The chain rides in the bar groove which is worn out or the wrong size example - .063 bar and .050 chain. Going up and down the chain is fine, on its side the chain is laying over and not at the proper angle to cut.

You ever hear of Gravity? The chain rides in the bar groove which is worn out or the wrong size example - .063 bar and .050 chain. Going up and down the chain is fine, on its side the chain is laying over and not at the proper angle to cut.

Whilst I understand what you mean, I can't think that gravity plays much of a part in it.

Hey all, I am a noobe to this site and I am looking for a little info that may help me out.

Let me start by saying I have been cutting trees for over 25 years now so I do have experience in trimming, felling and hurricane cleanup (Katrina).

I have a Stihl Chainsaw that will cut fine straight up and down but if you turn it over on its side to cut a pie it will only cut into the tree about 3"-4" before it seems to stop cutting anything in the heart of the tree. The bar is a 26" I believe but I have a 44" for flush cutting stumps also. the larger blade work well for the first 1-15 stumps but it started doing the same thing that the shorter one now does. We have sharpend the chain and checked the adjustments on the saw but nothing I have tried short of a new bar and chain has helped. I thought that maybe someone with more experience then myself could shed some light on this problem for me. Thanks in advance.

Randy

does the saw bog down like its lacking power, or does the engine keep going but do no cutting?

Anyone that has run a chainsaw with a worn bar or a bar of a larger gauge running a smaller gauge chain on it will recognize this problem as the chain will rock over to one side and the bar rail will catch in the kerf,especially when attempting a falling notch. A worn bar with a burr all along the outer edge will hang up even easier. The cure is a new bar but if the rail is closed and the bar dressed it will work a while longer, also I have run a 058 gauge chain on a worn 050 bar to get a little more run time out of it. Same goes for a 063 in a worn 058.
Pioneerguy600

There's got to be more to it than the bar/chain if it cuts fine vertically but not horizontally. You've got me STUMPED haha pun intended :)

Its a worn bar, case closed. either close the guide rails on the bar or toss it and get a new one. Some shops will buy these old bars for a few bucks and sell you new ones for a little cheaper, its worth it to trade them in if you don't have a pincher.

Try cutting with saw vertically, then cock it left or right. You will soon find it won't go any further unless you wiggle it around. The chain is getting cocked in there, the bar is getting caught in the kerf.

Interesting Thread

I think that this is an interesting thread - the reason I like to read through the posts and learn things that would never be in the manuals.

I was thinking that the reason it doesn't hang up as much when cutting vertically is that we are usually opening up the kerf with the weight of the log when limbing or bucking, so that lets the thicker bar through?

Philbert

Its a worn bar, case closed. either close the guide rails on the bar or toss it and get a new one. Some shops will buy these old bars for a few bucks and sell you new ones for a little cheaper, its worth it to trade them in if you don't have a pincher.

but 2 bars? both only cutting vertical?

would sitll like to know how the engine sounds when this happens, before i make up my mind

Only 2 components there.

How much tooth is left on the cutters? When you sharpen the chain, the cutters get smaller, and the kerf gets more narrow. Combine that with burrs and loose guage channel..................the bar will hang up in the kerf.

What else could it be? The only thing in that log is bar and chain! If chain is spinning, must be a prob with bar and chain. That's my storie, and I'm stickin' with it!

Do this, borrow a b/c from someone, one that is in good shape. Try it, I think you will be amazed. The chain may be shot from some bad sharpening also, same results. Do you have the correct guage chain for the bars? You have 2 components that could do this, check them both. That, or that tree is IRONWOOD, literally.

Randy

I'd like to hear about the engine too but assuming it's ok, sounds like a worn bar and maybe loose chain. When you cut straight down, the chain is forced into the bottom bar groove and against the bar rail so it maintains reasonable alignment. Plus, it's easier to tweak the saw to the right or left to keep the bar centered in the kerf without realizing you're doing it.
When cutting sideways, the chain can twist up in the bar groove due to pressure against the bottom of the kerf. Where there is less pressure against the kerf, the chain cuts normally. In effect, you're cutting a wavy line in the log and the straight bar can't follow it. The deeper you go, the harder it is to force the bar into the wavy cut. That's how I see it, anyway.

What else could it be?

could be carb trouble, metering system etc. Its a common carb problem for a saw to perform vertical but tilt it sideways and it plays up.

could be the fuel filter caught in a bad position in the tank so it wont suck fuel when the saw is on its side.

im not saying it is the answer and im not saying it isnt, but without asking the right questions you cant be sure. workshop 101 - ask questions

Like I say i'd like to know more before making up my mind. for all we know that saw is stalling in the cut and thats why its not cutting :)

so, how does it run / sound when its on its side?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back