Sawdust issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleddude5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, when I'm using my CSM I have issues with breathing in the sawdust and it getting into my eyes, which causes irritaion for about a week.

I am going to start wearing a dustmask, but does anyone have an idea on a decent pair of goggles, THAT WON'T FOG UP?

Thanks,
Jerry C

Rather than a dust mask...

I'm a chainsaw carver and saw for a few hours nearly every day. It was hard for others to convince me to give a respirator a try but when I finally did, I learned it was well worth it. Not only was I surprised that it wasnt' in my way but on the rare occasion I run a saw without my respirator, I'm amazed at how stinky the saws really are. Dust masks don't keep exhaust fumes out of our lungs but a good fitting respirator will.

As for goggles, have you tried soaping them? It works with motorcycle helmet shields. Just draw a line across the inside of your goggle lense with a bar of hand soap [unscented stuff for me] and polish it around with a dry soft cloth until you can't see the soap.

Butch
www.WoodHacker.com

The best I've used are Kawasaki, [not that they are the only thing out there] they came with the ATV we had. Big foam around the edges. I've never worn them with a mask though. Mostly I need them with the leaf-vav in the fall - If the leaves are real dry, a few hours of the vac and my eyes might as well have glass in them.

I use a hard hat with a mesh faceshield and ear muffs. It allows easy use of a respirator too. I have safety glasses, but they fog, get dirty, fall on the ground and scratch easily plus I sweat behind them which attracts things. I tried the mesh and been happy. It's cooler and doesn't fog up, flips up out of the way. I'd get the bug eye glasses if I wasn't happy with what I'm using like Mtngun said. In calm to breezy conditions particles have not been an issue.

I use a Stihl hardhat/mesh faceshield combo, but it doesn't stop the sawdust from getting in my eyes.

I am using a 36" Alaskan CSM.

I use the stock ripping chain from Bailey's. It get's a file touchup every other pass, and then a sharpening with the grinder when needed.

I have a pair of safety goggles I bought from Stihl when I bought my first saw about 20 years ago, but they fog up.

I have a set of goggles I wear snowmobiling, but they do not have safety lenses in them. They wouldn't fog, and I guess as long as nothing flies up at me they would be ok.

I'll look into the sky goggles....I am assuming you meant SKI goggles.

Thanks for the help....more milling to do tomorrow morning!

Jerry C

Hey, when I'm using my CSM I have issues with breathing in the sawdust and it getting into my eyes, which causes irritaion for about a week.

I am going to start wearing a dustmask, but does anyone have an idea on a decent pair of goggles, THAT WON'T FOG UP?

Thanks,
Jerry C

I've heard that moto cross goggles work great.

I use a Stihl hardhat/mesh faceshield combo, but it doesn't stop the sawdust from getting in my eyes.

I am using a 36" Alaskan CSM.

I use the stock ripping chain from Bailey's. It get's a file touchup every other pass, and then a sharpening with the grinder when needed.

You didn't say whether you are milling green or dry logs/

With that combo and milling green wood you should get a lot of chips and very little dust. If you are getting a lot of dust I would check your raker heights, they should be ~1/10 of your gullet width and not a constant value eg 0.025"

When milling dry wood I sometimes wear this this.

But I usually just make sure my chain is sharp, rakers set, get the wind at my back and go for it. Mostly I wear a wrap around full face shield like this.

attachment.php

Here best but Hud works the 3120 using just the standard Husky chip face shield.
attachment.php

This is a bone dry fairly hard log but there is not enough dust made to worry about.

I use a wrap around clear shield like in bobs first picture. keeps dust out of my eyes , helps with exhaust fumes too.

Latest posts

Back