Sawing Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend gave me some logs not long ago, when he cut down every tree in his yard! There's white pine, blue spruce, maple and walnut in there...

standard.jpg

The walnut is pretty nice, and as you can see in the first pict., it split part way up when the guy fell it.

standard.jpg

Anyway, it was 25 feet to the first limb, and decent in diameter too...

standard.jpg

I had it in my mind that just "maybe" i'd get a decent stock blank out of this crotch...

standard.jpg

So i loaded it on the mill, and opened it...

standard.jpg

I took 1" boards off, and left this thicker piece. There's really isn't anything that i thought would make the kind of blank i'd want on my rifle, so i peeled the bark off and stickered the whole bunch...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Then i decided to mill the split log, so i loaded it on the mill...

standard.jpg

The grade was decent and walnut looks best flat sawn, so i started taking 5/4 boards off...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I wanted the natural edge left on the boards, so i only turned the log 180*, and kept sawing untill i had a 11/4 plank left... I also took all the bark off, as that's where the bugs like to hide and lay there eggs...

standard.jpg

Here's the tally from the split log... Not too bad considering it was a split log!

standard.jpg

Well, that's it for today... Hope you liked the picts...

Rob

Last edited:
Looks really nice. I'd like to see pics of the maple log when you mill that. I want to get my hands on a nice sugar maple log. that one pine log looks pretty good too.

I'm glad everyone liked the picts...

I really don't have any plans for the walnut, and that's all the more reason to leave the edge on the boards. It will give me more options later...

I may want to make a wall clock? Or a step stool, or ? , and i can hand pick just the right edge for the project, or just saw it off if i don't want it...

Rob

Nice pics Rob! I too can't wait to see what's hiding in the maple.Could be some curl in there.:clap:

Latest posts

Back