Saws in the logging industry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, it seems that if you were to compare the the equivalent models between Husky and Stihl, the Husky puts out little more chain speed. They're a real smooth cutting saw, but they feel like they run a little looser. The Stihls seem a little more solid in their overall construction. We've only had our Husky's (395's) since this summer, so we'll have to see how they hold up to the everyday use. We use them mainly for felling and limbing and leave the Stihl's for bucking. I've heard that the Husky's can rattle themselves loose, but this could just be that the people using them don't know how to properly use a saw. So I'd definatley be interested in some feedback on that. But for us, Stihl still takes up the most space in the back of the truck.

This is pine country around here and most of the loggers use the big equipment. The few saws I see are mostly Stihl 440.
I am the oddball with Dolmars.
Ten + years ago I fell timber in Alaska. There were fallers from all over the PNW.Seemed like 75% of the saws were 066s and the rest were Husky.

I SWvirginia where I was logging it was about a 50/50 split between husky and stihl. Most guys run 372/575 or 440/460 with the 460 being the most popular stihl. Most outfits will have a 395 or 066 sitting around somewhere for the really big stuff but I've seen and cut some h@llasous timber with a 20''.

I tell ya one thing if I ever get into cuttin timber for a living I won`t be lugging my 090 or 088 around, those are best left for the mill :greenchainsaw:

husky's job

:hmm3grin2orange: In my neck of the woods its the husky's job to sit in truck and bark and or bite anyone trying to get the five finger discount on the stihl 044-660 laying in the bed... Just my $.02

brian660 said:
I tell ya one thing if I ever get into cuttin timber for a living I won`t be lugging my 090 or 088 around, those are best left for the mill

Naw man, those are the things to use for production cutting. Yea, lugging them around can be a pain at first, but you get used to it. I used to think they were a bit of an overkill, but man, once you get going, they get the job done quick.

redwood logger said:
Out here in the redwoods of northern California the loggers use stihl almost exclusively. Those that dont, use husky, but they are uncommon. The ms 460 is most common for bucking and limbing. The ms660 for felling, and once in a while a 880 for the few and far in between big old growth stick.

That's kind of funny, the Forest Service uses almost exclusively Stihl, and almost always the 044/440, but one of the main areas that they use husky is California, I figured it was a regional thing, but aparrently not, if the loggers use Stihl.

around here southern australia its the 066 with a 25" bar 99% of the time.every logging contractor must have a harvester so not much chainsaw felling.

Southwestern Nova Scotia

Down here it is a 50/50 split between Husky and Stihl. Our wood is not very big. Sthl 260-361, Husky 346-357/359.

Stihl

I use a 66 in the woods and an 84 in the yard and I use the husky as a wheel chauk.

It used to be all Stihl around here 046, 056, 064, 066 etc etc etc. Now it seems dead split with husky and stihl.

When I was cutting cypress pine in central Queensland most where using huskies (385, 395, and 3120's) and some where swinging off stihls as well.

Moved to southest queensland into the hardwoods and most are diehard stihl owners with the odd husky user thrown in to keep em honest.

Just a regional thing, all comes down to service and avialability. No sense in having a saw that you can't get fixed overnight when you are relying on it to make your wages. My dealer where I used to live could fix a saw for me and have it ready for the next morning, if not he would lend me one of his saws so I can keep working (when I first started cutting on my own had just one saw). the stihl fella in the area couldn't give two hoots if it was fixed by next week! So I just went with the company that treated me right.

When I was working for the USFS in Montana in the early to mid 90's all the districts had stihl's, that way if we were on a fire or project and you had a breakdown and you didn't have a spare somebody else might have what you needed(always had a handfull of bar nuts and fuel and oil caps floating around in our gear, some dip???? on the crew always seemed to forget to tighten them).

over here in eastern oregon, around unity to be exact. id say its about 80% sthils 20% huskys, they use 046s on most of the landings and 066s out on the mountainsides fallin trees. personally i like the 046s though not too big you can pack em around but big enough you can do just about anything you want to with em.

rubberducky said:
over here in eastern oregon, around unity to be exact. id say its about 80% sthils 20% huskys, they use 046s on most of the landings and 066s out on the mountainsides fallin trees. personally i like the 046s though not too big you can pack em around but big enough you can do just about anything you want to with em.

I used to work with a couple guys from Unity, the have since left the timber falling biz. They were Dan and Jimmy Davis - father and son.

in and around Valemount, eastern British Columbia (52' Lat)

Agreeing with 'LumberjackAU', it is mostly based on availability of service - mostly Stihls and Jonsered around here - pine, fir and spruce species - ranging from 20" to 48" butts (double back cut, of course) - some companies use StihlMS460 in the bush for falling (weight preference), 066 on the landings to buck to length (speed) while other companies use the Jonsered 2171 in both environments - however, in this case, parts and service for both brands are available from a single shop here.

Eppleton

My folks still live in New Hampshire, my dad bought a jonsered chainsaw mill a number of years ago, cut himself enough lumber with it to build a big post and beam barn and is now in the middle of building a 36' wood sailboat with the wood he cut with it. He is happy with its performance. I was looking at buying a jonsered for work but no one stocked them here, well no chainsaw shop, there was a local agricultral did but they had no service to back it up.

No service, no sale

My folks still live in New Hampshire, my dad bought a jonsered chainsaw mill a number of years ago, cut himself enough lumber with it to build a big post and beam barn and is now in the middle of building a 36' wood sailboat with the wood he cut with it. He is happy with its performance. I was looking at buying a jonsered for work but no one stocked them here, well no chainsaw shop, there was a local agricultral did but they had no service to back it up.

If you are looking for a johny just buy yourself the husky of your choice and order the red plastic they are identical saws no difference except the husky has a lower price tag.

Monk said:
If you are looking for a johny just buy yourself the husky of your choice and order the red plastic they are identical saws no difference except the husky has a lower price tag.

Here the johny's are cheaper than the husky's. My first worksaw was a husky and I just kept on buying them. A cutter I ran into yrs ago had the jonsered version of the 385, funny thing was he added some orange to it so he can get the larger airfilter on it. He ended up spending more on his than I did on mine, was boasting what a great deal it was at first.

Latest posts

Back