Saws 'n stuff in Japan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know from experience that a gear drive with lower chain speed does not necessarily = better chain life when cutting roots or earth...

Mark

Ain't that the truth.....Now come on Mark, tell us about your experience....LOL.;) I know how it feels to ruin a chain in the blink of an eye...

Hello Stefan, nice collection. Good to see you keeping up the collecting. Hope you won't stirr up another earthquake in Japan especially waking up those old chainsaw monsters from the past....

It's the same brand and factory. The Rabbit Works were fusioned with Robin at some time and the name Robin was retained for the company. The maker of this saw is Fuji "Robin" (on the label).
Lately some modern "Rabbit" chainsaw models have emerged which most probably are of Chinese origin.

It's the same brand and factory. The Rabbit Works were fusioned with Robin at some time and the name Robin was retained for the company. The maker of this saw is Fuji "Robin" (on the label).
Lately some modern "Rabbit" chainsaw models have emerged which most probably are of Chinese origin.

Thanks for the info.
I've read FHI is dropping the Fuji name altogether and simply becoming Subaru Corporation, with the small/industrial engine division (formerly Robin becoming Subaru Industrial Power Products. Great little engines but parts are impossible to find here in Europe.

DSC_0093[1].jpg
This slightly sore PM850 arrived today...
DSC_0094[1].jpg
The bar still shows the whole McCulloch logo - I thought it might be a salvageable junk saw...
DSC_0095[1].jpg
Chain brake works...
DSC_0097[1].jpg
Clutch and drum look clean and almost new...

The contact spring in the plug connector was loose - a very quick fix. Filled her up with mix and after 5-10 pulls she fired and kept on idling :p. Even the oiler works as it should. Bar & chain needed some work.
I cleaned her up some and she is ready to go - this season's firewood saw.
:rolleyes:DSC_0098[1].jpg

Should be around 300 saws that were running when I put them on the shelf. Trying to cut down on the habit, though :crazy:

I use my first076 for milling - the other two are for back-up. I also run a few 050/051 in the Small Mill. Another10 saws or so I regularly use for firewood. And then there are the non-runners and parts saws...

This may be the right place to ask...

I have been told Kreis has become Maruyama and has kept the same business, meaning to merely have their products manufactured by somebody else. And it would make sense as their chainsaws are manufactured by both Dolkita and Yamabiko.
I've also been told Tanaka started out as TAS, manufacturing more or less direct clones of O&R engines to which they later added extensions to make chainsaws and the like. Correct me if I am wrong but I think they even cloned the infamous Chip-a-Saw.

Kreis_PCS-NS3.JPG

You probably mean this little saw? This one was made by TAS (later called Tanaka) and sold as a Kreis PCS-NS3 in Japan.
They do look very much like the Chip-a-Saw etc. sold in the US - I am not sure if they are the same.
Nippon Kreis is still listed as a company - they may be a part of Maruyama, though.

This 365 Special found its way into the shed some time ago:
DSC_0108[1].jpg DSC_0107[1].jpg DSC_0109[1].jpg
The story behind this saw: A good friend of ours passed away in spring last year and his wife asked me to sell his saws as she had no use for them. I did sell 4 of the 5 saws but nobody seemed to be interested in this one at the price I was asking - "too heavy", "too expensive", etc. I threw in so many arguments in favor of the saw that, finally, I convinced myself that it would perfectly fill the gap between the 20 or so work saws I have in this class :cool: (some people might think it's CAD, though). So I bought it yesterday for the price I had asked.

This saw was made in 2006 and rested unsold in a dealership in France until 2013 or 2014 when my friend bought it there on a trip through France. He used it once for a larger tree but then was not able to lift heavier weights any more... So, it is practically unused and I don't think I will put many scratches in it either.

It needed some carb re-adjustment (after pulling off the limiter caps).

I just brought your image in to LightRoom and brought up the shadows. Looks like it is the closed port model. A very good find. Not as flashy as the 372xp, but nearly the same saw in practice.
花より団子
Enjoy it!

View attachment 609464

You probably mean this little saw? This one was made by TAS (later called Tanaka) and sold as a Kreis PCS-NS3 in Japan.
They do look very much like the Chip-a-Saw etc. sold in the US - I am not sure if they are the same.
Nippon Kreis is still listed as a company - they may be a part of Maruyama, though.

Nippon Kreis is listed on Maruyama's corporate website as an "affiliated company", so it's probably fully owned by them now.
I was always intrigued by those TAS engines because, despite being very obviously O&R clones, they were actually better all around: better components, better castings, better assembly etc. It's a pity Tanaka dropped their standalone engines.

Back