Saws that surprise the hell out of you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's time we talk about sleeper saws. Everyone knows that a dolmar 7900 or 346 husky will cut like demons but how about the ones you don't expect or seem to do more than they should for their size or age. This thread is dedicated to them. My own personal sleeper is my poulan 5200. It's 85 ccs but it will run with my muffler modded 066. My Dad has a pioneer P62 that is also impressive. I had a dolmar 153 and a husky 2100 which are the same size but the p62 would outshine them in big wood easily.

The husky 555 had more power than I thought it would. 346 is a big disappointment to me from the reviews people give here. The big pioneers are nice too.

+1 on the 5200/5.2 My recently acquired 133 also left an impression, really had not seen to many posts on this saw so it was a pleasant surprise. In general, the non epa, we're not worried about the environment late seventies to late eighties saws are very impressive. Kind of the hot rod muscle era imho

Had to drop in a pic of that 238..the thing rips..:msp_wink:

217383d1326562041-238xp-jpg

View attachment 217383

I will vote for the Homelite Super EZ Automatic in the vintatge saw class. I never had one before this summer and I ended up with two I got at auctions, one was a 1978 and the other a 1979. I have always liked Homelite saws but never was exposed to the Super EZ, they are a gutsy little saw and are very well built. They are a good cheap saw that are a worthy addition to any collection. In the new saw class I would say my new MS211 Stihl surprised me, I didn't expect this saw to have the guts it does. I read all the reviews here on AS and like with all of those I took it with a grain or two of salt but they were right it is a good, little powerful saw.

Steve

It's time we talk about sleeper saws. Everyone knows that a dolmar 7900 or 346 husky will cut like demons but how about the ones you don't expect or seem to do more than they should for their size or age. This thread is dedicated to them. My own personal sleeper is my poulan 5200. It's 85 ccs but it will run with my muffler modded 066. My Dad has a pioneer P62 that is also impressive. I had a dolmar 153 and a husky 2100 which are the same size but the p62 would outshine them in big wood easily.

Hmmmmm,

I like the Echo cs520 Randy (Mastermind) ported for me. It's not a pro saw but it has some nuts. Theres a video on page two of the build thread Mastermind meets the Echo cs520.

The Shindaiwa 345 is a little saw that suprised me when I ran it. I didn't think I'd use a little saw much, but I grab it now for anything small enough it will handle. Light and nimble for cutting branches even though the short bar requires some bending.

For anybody without a small saw in the stable, I'd recommend getting a small saw as they really are useful with the right conditions.

OK, I will play. Just the other day I picked up an 039, the first of that series that I have ever bothered with. Well to be honest it was free, which is the only reason I brought it home. Compression seemed really strong and a quick check revealed a fuel line torn in two. No wonder it would not go. Anyway, with a new fuel line it fired right up and ran well. A quick muffler mod (and easy), a new full chisel chain and this POS is cutting along side a nice 038 mag. I know no-one is gunna believe me.:)

And another vote for the 8500. (sorry Mark)

Al.

I have to go along with the little Homelite Super EZ, still have a couple of them. We had bought one new in 76 or 77, finally burned it up cleaning fence row, the muffler was always against the ground causing the saw to get too hot. But I had a guy give me two of them a couple of years ago, one is almost like it just come out of the box and the other one has had a little more use. I run them from time to time, for their time they were stout little saws, I've let other guys try them and they are shocked how well they run. Second vote is for the Efco/JD Cs 56/ 156. One of the best firewood saws I've ever owned for the money, for 300.00 right up a stock MS 361's hiney. Same feeling mdavlee has on the 346. I could kick myself in the hiney for trading off the JD CS 56.

Latest posts

Back