saying hello and showing my new 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownie525

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
whats up guys? Last weekend i got my first real saw:greenchainsaw: i picked up this 046 off of craigslist for 250. The saw runs great and is in great shape nothing broken or missing alittle dirty but that dont bother me. I have a few questions does this saw have a adjustable oiler? i just dont think its oiling enough and can i run a 32" bar on it? im not talking all the time just a few times a year i come across some big stuff somebody once rid of im just a firewood cutter.
thanks guys

Last edited:
adjustable oiler is on the bottom. look for the letter E with an arrow that goes left to right. turn it to the right as far as it'll go.

put a 25" b&c on it, tach it, and go cut some wood.

man you guys are quick lol. ill check out the oiler in the morning. i forgot to ask does anyone have a set of dogs for an 046 the saw only has the inside one and its not on there with the right hardware and i want to fix that
.:cheers:

man you guys are quick lol. ill check out the oiler in the morning. i forgot to ask does anyone have a set of dogs for an 046 the saw only has the inside one and its not on there with the right hardware and i want to fix that
.:cheers:

from your stihl dealer the "big" dual dogs are about $12-14 for the set.

and don't forget the DP muffler cover - about $25 or so, i don't remember.

and you've got a 460, not an 046, based on your oil/gas caps.

o i didnt relise that the set of dogs would be that cheap ill just get them new then. So i guess the top cover has been changed or something ??:confused:

o i didnt relise that the set of dogs would be that cheap ill just get them new then. So i guess the top cover has been changed or something ??:confused:

wait til jacob or andy or someone that really knows their stuff chimes in. i just based my statement off the oil and gas caps.

Kool saw! That is a 460 with a 046 top cover, the 460 cover may have been damaged and replaced with a 046. If it were a 046, it would have the screw caps instead of flippys, as mentioned. Also if it were a 046 and the fuel tank/handle was broke/cracked, you can only get the newer style 460 tank, with the flippy cap. So you would have a screw cap for the oil tank/crankcase and a flippy for the fuel tank/handle. This is a easy way to spot a abused 044/046.

Kool saw! That is a 460 with a 046 top cover, the 460 cover may have been damaged and replaced with a 046. If it were a 046, it would have the screw caps instead of flippys, as mentioned. Also if it were a 046 and the fuel tank/handle was broke/cracked, you can only get the newer style 460 tank, with the flippy cap. So you would have a screw cap for the oil tank/crankcase and a flippy for the fuel tank/handle. This is a easy way to spot a abused 044/046.

yeah, i cracked the fuel tank in my 036... now i got a screw up front and a flippy on the tank:dizzy:

well got the oiler turned up today cleaned her up and did a little maintenance so shes all ready to roll I'm going to order up my set of dogs tomorrow:)

Back