SCARY SCARY SCARY... Chimney Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I've been burning for many years. I burn good, well-seasoned hardwoods, so I always took pride about having to clean the pipes 1 time at the beginning of the burn season. Well, that will change. Friday night,my son asked if he could toss a small box into the woodburner where I had a nice hot fire going. I told him yes. Box was a puzzle box, maybe 10-11" wide and 2" thick. Of course it caught right away in a bluster of flames and that was it so I thought. 5-10 minutes later, as I'm watching TV, I notice the single-wall pipe where it enters the thimble in the wall glowing red. I thought it was a reflection off the glass-front stove, but realized I've never seen that before, so I went over to inspect. Well, as I got closer, I heard the roar going up the chimney. I shut air-flow immediately, and ran outside. It was a scary sight looking up at my chimney cap, seeing it glowing red, and creosote dripping out. Luckily, because the rear of my house is half underground, I can get to the roof with a 12' step-ladder. I quickly hooked a 90' hose to the hosebib, ran around the house, and up the ladder and roof I went. A quick douse of the roof immediately around the chimney, then I sprayed the cap, knocked it off, and sprayed down the chimney. That was enough to knock it down. I ran back into the basement to inspect. The fire in the box was still going strong, so I sprayed it out best I could, then shoveled the hot coals/wood out and into my bucket to be carried outside. My house is entirely cedar wood-sided, and it would have been ugly if it would have caught.

The next day I climbed the roof and brushed the double-wall 6" stainless. That didn't seem to be the problem, however , when I took off the singlewall stovepipe inside, it was pretty heavy with creosote.

LESSON LEARNED. I will clean every 2-3 months now.

On another note. My friend, a fireman, said they drop Quart ziplock baggies of Baking Soda down the Chimney. They also have some sort of flare they light and throw in the firebox that starves the fire. I am going to see if I can get some of those flares. The sounds of that flame riding up that chimney is one I'll not soon forget.

Editing to Add:..... Once I knew the chimney was caught, I ran upstairs to alert the family to get out. Wife, 3 kids, and 2 of my daughters friends were inside. Didn't want to let that out of the story.

Last edited:
Once again one of the main reasons I love my OWB. When heating with an insert I was always a little nervous about going to bed at night with a fire going. I have a single story house and was pretty good about brushing the chimney usually about once a month. I would leave the brush on top of the house all winter. My wife used to like to throw crap into the insert until we had a similar experience. She threw a 12 pack container into the stove which sucked it up into the chimney. I could hear something rattling around inside the wall and said to her a bird must have fallen into the chimney. I went outside looked up at the chimney and thought we had a chimney fire. I was just getting ready to call the fire department when I asked my wife if she put anything into the stove and she told me what she had done. That cured her of ever doing that again! They are meant to use wood not as an incinerator!

Well, I've been burning for many years. I burn good, well-seasoned hardwoods, so I always took pride about having to clean the pipes 1 time at the beginning of the burn season. Well, that will change. Friday night,my son asked if he could toss a small box into the woodburner where I had a nice hot fire going. I told him yes. Box was a puzzle box, maybe 10-11" wide and 2" thick. Of course it caught right away in a bluster of flames and that was it so I thought. 5-10 minutes later, as I'm watching TV, I notice the single-wall pipe where it enters the thimble in the wall glowing red. I thought it was a reflection off the glass-front stove, but realized I've never seen that before, so I went over to inspect. Well, as I got closer, I heard the roar going up the chimney. I shut air-flow immediately, and ran outside. It was a scary sight looking up at my chimney cap, seeing it glowing red, and creosote dripping out. Luckily, because the rear of my house is half underground, I can get to the roof with a 12' step-ladder. I quickly hooked a 90' hose to the hosebib, ran around the house, and up the ladder and roof I went. A quick douse of the roof immediately around the chimney, then I sprayed the cap, knocked it off, and sprayed down the chimney. That was enough to knock it down. I ran back into the basement to inspect. The fire in the box was still going strong, so I sprayed it out best I could, then shoveled the hot coals/wood out and into my bucket to be carried outside. My house is entirely cedar wood-sided, and it would have been ugly if it would have caught.

The next day I climbed the roof and brushed the double-wall 6" stainless. That didn't seem to be the problem, however , when I took off the singlewall stovepipe inside, it was pretty heavy with creosote.

LESSON LEARNED. I will clean every 2-3 months now.

On another note. My friend, a fireman, said they drop Quart ziplock baggies of Baking Soda down the Chimney. They also have some sort of flare they light and throw in the firebox that starves the fire. I am going to see if I can get some of those flares. The sounds of that flame riding up that chimney is one I'll not soon forget.

Editing to Add:..... Once I knew the chimney was caught, I ran upstairs to alert the family to get out. Wife, 3 kids, and 2 of my daughters friends were inside. Didn't want to let that out of the story.

I had the same experience with a fire place......I thru in a wet towel and shut the glass doors...the steam stopped the chimney fire.

If I had to guess, chimney fires happen more than people realize. They just burn themselves out before being noticed. I guess if your pipes are in good order, they can sustain a good bit.... well the double-wall anyhow. I wouldn't want to guess at how long the single-wall stovepipe (inside) can sustain a very hot, crosote fire.

Yep; had that experience with my fireplace years ago. Sounded like a jet aircraft was stuck in the chimney. Good thing it was a heavily built fireplace and tall chimney, because that is the only reason I could see that the house didn't go up in smoke.

Very glad all were safe and house was fine.

Mr. HE:cool:

Home Chimney Fire Extinguisher

Have heard a regular fire extinguisher sprayed into the firebox will work also.

I see it working well on my setup, don't know though with the newer stoves....

Someone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I was in a better position than most, if you will, to have a chimney fire. That sounds dumb I know, but man it could have been so much worse.

A. I was home and alert to it as soon as it happened.
B. I have somewhat easy access to the chimney. Step-ladder and run up a 6/12 pitch (not steep) roof.
C. I had a 90' hose hooked in a matter of minutes and can get to the chimney.

I'm going to keep a couple Baking Soda bags handy also.... and look into that flare.

If you can get some of the powder that is in fire extinguishers and keep it handy just throw in a couple of landfills in firebox,the draft will pull it up an put the fire out. This saves the extinguisher for another time when really needed cheaper as well. This yellow powder probably has Baking Soda in it as well as other fire stopping compounds.

whitepine2

Dale, I am glad you and the family and home are all fine. I'm sure it was a traumatic time for you all and glad you had the good sense to handle it like you did.
I will second having a chimfex or two on hand that someone linked you to ^^^^^^^ .
Stay safe,
dave

You don't want to spray water down your chimney. The water turns into superheated steam instantly when it hits those super hot liner tiles blowing them apart. You won't see the firemen pump water down the chimney. That's why they use the baking soda bombs and flares.

Just being a firefighter for the last 32 years has made me NOT want a woodstove IN the house. That's not to say YOU shouldn't have one, I just can't bring myself to have one after seeing too much property destroyed and people get injured or killed because of them. I'd never be comfortable with it.

These pics are of one of the last investigations I participated in. By rights I probably shouldn't post them, just out of respect for the home owners, but I don't think there is anything that would lend itself to easy identification of the people who own the property. I'm not sure if everyone realizes how fast fire travels and literally doubles in size roughly every 30 seconds or so.

These first two are where a woodstove pipe got installed, passing between floors and on the interior of a wall. The homeowners thought they were doing everything correctly by hiring a licensed installer do the installation. Needless to say, the contractor no longer has an installation license.

DSC_0363_zps7213d6b6.jpg

DSC_0362_zps58cf8f2a.jpg

This is a photo of a wall. You can see how fire will travel laterally with little to no outward indication it is even there.

DSC_0360_zpsfa9a3c9f.jpg

This last one is the second floor, floor, bathroom area. Not only does fire get into walls, it travels between floors as well. The firefighters did an excellent job to have even stopped this fire at ALL!

DSC_0370_zps2acbd48e.jpg

Very scary stuff! Glad you were able to handle it and keep everyone and everything safe.
I clean my chimney every three weeks or so because it's pretty easy to get to. Makes me nervous when snow stays on the roof for more than that so I can't get to it. Never get much out with the frequent cleanings, it just makes me feel better.
Woodstove is my only heat, but it's also the only house I own. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Had to use the fire extinguisher one time out the garage stove while burning papers, sounded like a jet engine. One short blast put it out very quickly. I had neglected my weekly check of pipe and chimney, yes, I did say weekly, both in the garage and house stove.

Glad You caught it. The water may have caused some unintentional damage, take a good look. A few years ago the wife was out of town, and my boys were asleep up stairs I decided to get my swerve on and threw the cardboard beer packs on the fire, within a minute the fireplace sounded like jet engine. I ran outside and to take a look, my chimney was producing a blizzard of orange embers everywhere! Some lady happended to be walking her dog and asked if thats normal? I told her yes and everything is fine...:msp_scared: Ran inside, wife moved dry chem fire extinguisher now I'm freaking, finally find it and spray a shot up the chimney and put it out. We had just had a chimney sweep screw us over for the last time:angry2: now I clean my chimney myself. When I went to inspect it. The chimney only had about a 2-3 inch diameter hole, it was like black bee hive had taken over the 8"x10" flu pipe.

Glad to hear you got things out with no damage.

These pics are from a fireplace fire. Owner had chimney swept each year, told sweep not to bother with the clean out (cheap).

Firemen took at least a 1/2 yard of flaming creosote out of clean out (see pic) , burnt heads off of two shovels in the process.

Back