scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. How about some kind of epoxy and slather that stuff with a stiff business card on the chard handle and crack. Then sand it the best you can. Paint it white.

Ya i'm goign to fix it up and paint it. Should work good, its solid besides that.

I may have a case with a good crank it it. I'll have to look tomorrow.

That would be awesome. :bowdown:

The condition is really not that bad, just needs a good cleaning and some seafoam through the carb, should be good to go for another 10 seasons.

LOL

Got some more work done. split case and cleaned up more parts.

Don't make fun of my gay cloth

CIMG1734.jpg

Dirty parts

CIMG1736.jpg

CIMG1738.jpg

CIMG1739.jpg

Clean

CIMG1744.jpg

Looks like it cleaned up better than pretty good! I'm excited to see the finished product so call off work tomorrow and keep cleaning. :)

Looks like it cleaned up better than pretty good! I'm excited to see the finished product so call off work tomorrow and keep cleaning. :)

Thanks

I'm waiting on glassbead for my cabinet and my eastwood powder coat system.

I think I'm goign to bolt the case together and blast it with all the holes plunged unless there's a better way? do i need a case gasket in there for blasting?

I might bolt up the cylinder to so the surfaces doesn't get messed up.

Any thoughts, never blasted a saw case.

Thanks

I'm waiting on glassbead for my cabinet and my eastwood powder coat system.

I think I'm goign to bolt the case together and blast it with all the holes plunged unless there's a better way? do i need a case gasket in there for blasting?

I might bolt up the cylinder to so the surfaces doesn't get messed up.

Any thoughts, never blasted a saw case.

I think your idea of bolting the halves together is a good one for blasting. I was suprised how glass beads eat magnesium. I would protect the gasket surfaces!

46?

You sure its a 46.. looks like a 44. anyway will a old 44 tank and handle fit?

just realized the handle has a small crack, but if your interested I'll take a pic for you....

Last edited:
dont know how much you have in this project or want to have in it, but here is a brand new crankcase assembly with crank bearings and seals all for less than a new crank

http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-MS460-046...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9de946d6

That's a bit out of budget, I'm in no rush.... i am but ill wait for the right price.

056, you don't need much. Piece of metal ,angle or something with 3 holes 2 for bar nuts and 1 for gear puller, and a arbor press helps. 1ton press on sale at HF for $45 or so i think.

Case splitting is pretty easy, don't forget the dowel pins either.

My powdercoater is in, came in this moning. Im getting out at 12 so ill take more pictures and get more work done.

I got the case ready for blasting. cut out a paper bag for a gasket between the cases (probably didn't have to) and put the cylinder on. I put screws in all the holes i didn't want to get crap in. All i need is a plug for the clutch side that ill make this weekend. .

Hopefully i can find and oven this weekend and wire it up.

I sanded the plastics and clear coated them, don't look to good but a little better. I'm working on the handle/tank. It's soaking again, got a lot of crud off.

Cant find my memory card for the camera so ill get some pictures up when i find it. :dizzy:

forgot to picture the powdecoater. :bang:

CIMG1745.jpg

Flap disk, little went threw, have to jb it.

CIMG1746.jpg

CIMG1749.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the powered coater. The color chip book has off white as an older stihl with a hint of yellow. I think it will look good on an older saw.

CIMG1751.jpg

CIMG1755.jpg

CIMG1752.jpg

Looks like its cleaning up. It looks like it was straight gassed then set on fire! Thats cool people are offering parts, unfortunatly I don't have anything to offer. Keep up the good work, I want to see it running again.

Back