scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work man. Cant wait to see the powder coater. I've always wanted one.

I have to find and oven this weekend and get it wired. Then ill be good to go.

Still need a crank, missed a case crank and cylinder for $45 or so. came in 4 minutes after it ended. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

On a side note Matt,
Before you bead blast your parts,
I would take a few junk pieces of metal
and blast away. I don't use new glass on
my saw parts. It can be a bit aggressive.
Try low pressure and keep a distance.

Lee

On a side note Matt,
Before you bead blast your parts,
I would take a few junk pieces of metal
and blast away. I don't use new glass on
my saw parts. It can be a bit aggressive.
Try low pressure and keep a distance.

Lee

Thanks for the advice!

I'd toss it and start with something a little less burnt to a crisp, honestly it's gonna be a money pit and you're gonna need to replace 85% of the parts anyway.

This.....

With the price of a crank and a topend...you be at the cost of a nice condition used saw....not to mention all of the stuff you will have to replace that aren't "thought about" items.

I've brought two 084's, about 5 046's, and 2-3 044's back from the dead and had more money in them than they were worth when it was all said and done and they looked good to start with

This.....

With the price of a crank and a topend...you be at the cost of a nice condition used saw....not to mention all of the stuff you will have to replace that aren't "thought about" items.

I've brought two 084's, about 5 046's, and 2-3 044's back from the dead and had more money in them than they were worth when it was all said and done and they looked good to start with

There are alot worse things to spend money on than ressurecting a saw. So he's a little deep into an 046.... So what. If he's cool with the time it takes, and he enjoys doing it, GREAT! I am certainly enjoying the pics. All said and done, he'll have a very nice saw. Looks like he is getting a very nice worksop set up while he is at it.

There are alot worse things to spend money on than ressurecting a saw. So he's a little deep into an 046.... So what. If he's cool with the time it takes, and he enjoys doing it, GREAT! I am certainly enjoying the pics. All said and done, he'll have a very nice saw. Looks like he is getting a very nice worksop set up while he is at it.

Thanks, i have access to a lot of stuff but nothing like having your own. Ill make the money back from the powder coater pretty easily. The saw itself I'm only in $130 so far.
Crank is my biggest worry but I think one will show up.

I have send more money in some saws than they are worth but heck who cares. The run like new and every minute was enjoyable rebuilding them. I flip some saws and sell the rest.

The bead blast system and powder coating system shouldn't be included in this build..

I have send more money in some saws than they are worth but heck who cares. The run like new and every minute was enjoyable rebuilding them. I flip some saws and sell the rest.

The bead blast system and powder coating system shouldn't be included in this build..

Its not :D

I agree. Ive done a bunch of saws too and some had more money in them than they were worth. But I was happy doing it. Sometimes its not always about the money. Like my wifes cousin says"Its all part of the adventure". Keep going Matt.;)

I agree. Ive done a bunch of saws too and some had more money in them than they were worth. But I was happy doing it. Sometimes its not always about the money. Like my wifes cousin says"Its all part of the adventure". Keep going Matt.;)

Thanks Rook, I haven't stopped.

Thanks for the glass!! :yourock:

+1- Whatever floats yer boat, not too mention the strato saw BS that will soon be implemented into everything. Gotta keep the good ones going as long as we can- good job man - Sam

there is a nice 460 parts saw that came up in the tradin post with good plastic and tank and all the motor parts u need:cheers:

Thanks for doing this!

keep up the documentation on the rebuild.

Sometimes it's about winning! or just not being beat by an inanimate object!

Good job.

Too bad there wasn't a way to hide the scars.

there is a nice 460 parts saw that came up in the tradin post with good plastic and tank and all the motor parts u need:cheers:

Its listed as a 460, but the filter base is a 440. One would need to investigate first.

EDIT: I looked at it again, and its a poly flywheel, so as far as I know, only the 460's have that.

Last edited:

The flippy cap is a tun off, the case is the old model. I really don't want 1/2 flippy crap.

Someone else emailed me saying they had a case. My plastics cleaned up and have some jb weld on them. The tank/handle has jb weld and came out pretty good, some sanding and more jb and it will be good to go i'm thinking.

I'm going to powdercoat the 3/4 wrap also. and the starter cover. if anyone has a clutch cover pm me. this one is pretty rough but ill repaint it if nothing comes up.

Back