scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the blaster and gloves for my cabinet. Ill blast the 3/4 wrap and maybe the case tomorrow depending on how everythign goes.

CIMG1761.jpg

CIMG1760.jpg

Fixed up this handle since it had a big chunk gone, some sandign and paint youll never know. Untill i can get an elesto start.

CIMG1759.jpg

The plastics came out ok, i ran out of jb weld. If i cna find some orange paint il paint them. not really worth all the work, ill get betterones soon.
Made that area alot stronger.
CIMG1757.jpg

CIMG1758.jpg

No spell check on this pc so i may have butcherd a few things.

The tank/handle came out ok, It needs more work but at least its sealled.
After all the body work and some white paint I think it will look fine. I think they used indor caulking and a blend of 5 other things to seal it the first time.

CIMG1769.jpg

CIMG1770.jpg

CIMG1771.jpg

Hi, Matt, I like what you've got going there. At the very least, it's a fun project and you're going to have one helluva saw when it's all said and done. I think you're philosophy is sound... fix what you need to right now, and wait for some cheap parts to come around to fix the rest. Play your cards right, and I don't think you'll have all that much into it.... the 046s are danged expensive saws no matter HOW you snag one.

I used a pretty ugly 044 this year to do a lot of my large-diameter work... lotta JB Weld artwork on that thing..... I finally found a tank and a handle cheap recently and it will be looking good next season!

GREAT pictures, and I am interested to see how the powder coat setup works.

Last edited:
Hi, Matt, I like what you've got going there. At the very least, it's a fun project and you're going to have one helluva saw when it's all said and done. I think you're philosophy is sound... fix what you need to right now, and wait for some cheap parts to come around to fix the rest. Play your cards right, and I don't think you'll have all that much into it.... the 046s are danged expensive saws no matter HOW you snag one.

I used a pretty ugly 044 this year to do a lot of my large-diameter work... lotta JB Weld artwork on that thing..... I finally found a tank and a handle cheap recently and it will be looking good next season!

GREAT pictures, and I am interested to see how the powder coat setup works.

Me to, I just put some flashing on the inside of my blaster. Cam out OK but i caulked all the seems. Could have done a lot better but it's didn't cost much.

I agree too, about just keeping an eye out for cheap parts. Some of my best saws, I have the least money in them, just from wheeling and dealing. My ported popup 395, I'm only into for about $180 not including my expensive bar and chain.

Thats a propper basket case. Could be junked, but theres a special kind of pleasure resurecting a saw against all odds. Whatever the cost.
I rebuilt an 026 a couple of years ago. By rights i should have junked it, and spent more than its value, but i`ve got some good memories of the rebuild. I learnt a lot of valuable techniques in the process.
Look forward to seeing your saw running.:)

My compressor was acting crazy. It would spin fast as hell then slow down really slow? And it was spitting a bit of oil out the fill tube. Might have a cracked ring or something?

crank

I'm rebuilding a 460 right now, I just went to my stihl dealer to order a crankshaft and boom they had a parts 460 they just let me walk out the door with, they said to come back with 50 or a 100 buck when and if I got my saw going. What's your opinion about using the dirka sealent on the gaskets.

I'm rebuilding a 460 right now, I just went to my stihl dealer to order a crankshaft and boom they had a parts 460 they just let me walk out the door with, they said to come back with 50 or a 100 buck when and if I got my saw going. What's your opinion about using the dirka sealent on the gaskets.

Dirko is good stuff, not needed on the crankcase though. Even not needed on the cylinder base if you use a gasket, or you can go with no gasket and just use Dirko.

If you have some unused parts id be interested.

I have some pictures ill be uploading soon.

Case is about done, still a few spots, can you powder coat over clean old powder-coat? In the book it says you can do more then one coat so i don't see what the problem would be?

CIMG1808.jpg

CIMG1809.jpg

CIMG1810.jpg

CIMG1811.jpg

CIMG1812.jpg

Matt you're a genius. Keep the good work going and the pictures running. For a long time I am waiting for a challenge like this 046, but so far, no luck. What is important is that you're having fun, so do we!
:cheers:

PS: I am new around here and in chainsaw mechanics in general. I am a bicycle hobbyist and in this type of restorations bicycle hobbyist always give us a general picture of the disassembled machine, bolt by bolt, piece by piece side by side spread on a cloth. I think it could be impressive to see a picture of all the pieces of this 046 side by side on a cloth before you start reassembling. What do you think?

Last edited:
Matt you're a genius. Keep the good work going and the pictures running. For a long time I am waiting for a challenge like this 046, but so far, no luck. What is important is that you're having fun, so do we!
:cheers:

PS: I am new around here and in chainsaw mechanics in general. I am a bicycle hobbyist and in this type of restorations bicycle hobbyist always give us a general picture of the disassembled machine, bolt by bolt, piece by piece side by side spread on a cloth. I think it could be impressive to see a picture of all the pieces of this 046 side by side on a cloth before you start reassembling. What do you think?

Thanks,
If i have time Id be glad to.

What did you use for abrasive?

Mr. HE:cool:

glass that powder coat is old and strong, took a while! I might try a more abrasive media next time. Worked great for what i paid for it. :)

What color did you use on the case?

bare magnesium. I'm goign to use eastwoods off white, has a slight yellowish tint to it so it will look good on the older 046 i'm hopeing.

I'm hoping to have an oven working by next weekend so i will get pictures of the powder coating proses.

Latest posts

Back