scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My compressor is screwed up, keeps spitting oil out the fill tube.... i think the valves are shot. Its goign into the blaster one more time then maybe the dish washer, then acetone wipe down and heated in the oven, then powder.

Got more jb weld so ill do more work on the tank and handle.

I asked because I just switched from sand to glass bead for the 051 I'm working on now. It is much softer on the metal but it sure is slow.

I got set up to try soda, but just have not had the time yet. I've seen it used in a friends shop and even tried my hand at is a short while; seems like it will work well. Most of my setup was focused on drying the air supply so I can screen and reuse the soda. I've also been fabbing a centrifugal filter for the vacuum.

Mr. HE:cool:

I asked because I just switched from sand to glass bead for the 051 I'm working on now. It is much softer on the metal but it sure is slow.

I got set up to try soda, but just have not had the time yet. I've seen it used in a friends shop and even tried my hand at is a short while; seems like it will work well. Most of my setup was focused on drying the air supply so I can screen and reuse the soda. I've also been fabbing a centrifugal filter for the vacuum.

Does sand take it of quicker? I have seem sand i'm going to try since i'm runnign low on the glass. I have the starter cover and clutch cover to do, ill try the sand cause the glass wasn't taking off the paint on the starter cover grate.

I guess the best way to put it is that the sand is just different. It seems to eat and cut the paint away, at a microscopic level, the problem being that is what is does to the metal also. The glass bead seems to pound on the paint until it breaks it loose from the metal. If you run the bead back and forth over bare metal you can see it dimpling the surface, but not really cutting in.

Soda was described to me as being a trade off between those two if you're using medium grit. My short time watching it that seemed to be the case, but I can't really say that for sure yet.

Alot of this also varies with pressure. I've always turned down the feed pressure to about 85lbs when working with magnesium or aluminum. Higher pressure will work a lot quicker, the trade off being more metal loss. I should also maybe try glass bead at higher air pressure.

That is what I know so far; always learning with this stuff.

Oh, to answer your question, yes, I found sand quicker. With the trade offs mentioned in my last rambling post.

I guess the best way to put it is that the sand is just different. It seems to eat and cut the paint away, at a microscopic level, the problem being that is what is does to the metal also. The glass bead seems to pound on the paint until it breaks it loose from the metal. If you run the bead back and forth over bare metal you can see it dimpling the surface, but not really cutting in.

Soda was described to me as being a trade off between those two if you're using medium grit. My short time watching it that seemed to be the case, but I can't really say that for sure yet.

Alot of this also varies with pressure. I've always turned down the feed pressure to about 85lbs when working with magnesium or aluminum. Higher pressure will work a lot quicker, the trade off being more metal loss. I should also maybe try glass bead at higher air pressure.

That is what I know so far; always learning with this stuff.

in some spots i had it up around 120psi but usually around 90psi. The glass bead actually leaves it with a nice smooth surface, id imagine sand is a bit harsher.

Matt, do you use any wire or wire net to reinforce your jb welding and the plastics? Do you intend to smooth the jb welding before assembly?

You can partially embed wire or a thin metal net in your plastic parts with a soldering iron and then apply jb on top of that. Certainly your plastic parts will be stronger.

Last edited:
Matt, do you use any wire or wire net to reinforce your jb welding and the plastics? Do you intend to smooth the jb welding before assembly?

You can partially embed wire or a thin metal net in your plastic parts with a soldering iron and then apply jb on top of that. Certainly your plastic parts will be stronger.

the plastic was burnt and had a lot to stick to so it is as stong as the wrest of the tank now, still needs work but the hole is filled. Hope it works for now. I was thinking of sodablasting it lightly to get off all teh discolor and have a good painting surface. We will see. You think krylon fuzion will stick to the jb weld?

I think i will use my crank, somone pointed out the side to side play isint bad. Its not to bad I checked it again. When i was taking it apart i moved it arround and had play but it really isint as bad as I thaught.

I think i will use my crank, somone pointed out the side to side play isint bad. Its not to bad I checked it again. When i was taking it apart i moved it arround and had play but it really isint as bad as I thaught.

if your unsure about it take it to your local dealer and have their mechanic check it out. i was on the fence with my 026 crank because it had side to side play and i took it to the mechanic and he said it was normal. btw good job on the build:cheers:

if your unsure about it take it to your local dealer and have their mechanic check it out. i was on the fence with my 026 crank because it had side to side play and i took it to the mechanic and he said it was normal. btw good job on the build:cheers:

its good, just relay didn't look at it when i was taking it apart just got buried under crap and until someone pointed that out i remembered it having play.

I need an oven, maybe Thursday ill get it.

I need a P&C, or try to clean up the old one but it has some good scoring. Ill clean it up eventually but for now ill get a good one.

sandblast the 3/4 wrap and starter, I'm leaving some paint and powdering over it, it will take to long to get off. Ill get a new unbroken one eventually.

CIMG1817.jpg

CIMG1821.jpg

sandblasted the plastics, might try the tank/handle to paint it but not sure. Might just buy a new tank/handle.

CIMG1822.jpg

CIMG1823.jpg

picked up a small 24" oven, small but good for now and it fits under a bench, have to run another 20amp 3 wire. Hope to be powdercoating this week.

CIMG1825.jpg

Watch that oven Matt,it's not a convection so it will have hot spots.Seen some shadetree powdercoat jobs go bad cause of the oven.....:monkey:

they said don't use convection. We will see, it might end up in the river.

these spots came after the dishwasher. maybe the glass bead got washed out? I think the case is going to look good whit powder as long as the oven works out.

CIMG1826.jpg

CIMG1827.jpg

quick rust
CIMG1828.jpg

CIMG1829.jpg

Scorched Stihl

Hey Matt.You should name that saw "Satan's rebuild".Sure looks like it came from the devils workshop.......keep at it it's awsome.....

Latest posts

Back