Screw in caps verses flippy caps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen far more broken screw in caps than broken or mal functioning flippy caps, it just seems that neither cap is all that well designed or made if you need a screwdriver or other tool to insert into the cap and crank it on or off. Myself ,..on my saws I prefer the flippy caps, haven`t had one fail yet and no problems getting them in or out. I have seen a couple with leaking washers, so I just replace them, they are not really too pricey and the rubber washers can be replaced on the flippys even cheaper.

Pioneerguy600

Why does anyone need a screwdriver I been using them for 35 years without?

Why does anyone need a screwdriver I been using them for 35 years without?

They screw them down to tight and mess up the rubber seal.
Then they start to leak , so they have to tighten them tighter
the next time, so on and so forth. Most don't know that you can
buy the flat rubber seal for the screw on caps.

Few years back was waiting in line at dealer. Older logger
was getting 8 screw on caps for his 066/660's. I says to him
you must have a bunch of 066's. He said a few, he then said
damn weak caps the wrench keeps poking holes in them!
All I could say was, bet thats an aggravation :)

TT

They screw them down to tight and mess up the rubber seal.
Then they start to leak , so they have to tighten them tighter
the next time, so on and so forth. Most don't know that you can
buy the flat rubber seal for the screw on caps.

Few years back was waiting in line at dealer. Older logger
was getting 8 screw on caps for his 066/660's. I says to him
you must have a bunch of 066's. He said a few, he then said
damn weak caps the wrench keeps poking holes in them!
All I could say was, bet thats an aggravation :)

TT

Them loggers are a ham fisted lot aren`t they? This saw I am working over is an ex loggers saw, so beat to death its only good for a couple of parts.
I`ve had to fish so many broken off caps out of the tanks that I made up a special tool to remove them.

Pioneerguy600

When the flippy caps break all the parts fall onto the ground and not into the tank. Mine break in the winter on my climbing saw. always keep a couple extra around. The Stihl dealer here sells them at his cost I think 4 bucks. he told me he sold them cheep because so many customers come in to get them.

Them loggers are a ham fisted lot aren`t they? This saw I am working over is an ex loggers saw, so beat to death its only good for a couple of parts.
I`ve had to fish so many broken off caps out of the tanks that I made up a special tool to remove them.

Pioneerguy600

I did talk to him and his wife a bit. She was the saw mechanic of the crew.
Come to find out she had 5 gallon buckets full of dead 066's in pieces.
I ask if they would like to sell them, she said I may pay you to haul them off.
I wrote there phone number down on my sales receipt. Going down the crowed
Interstate and out of the corner of my eye I seen a little piece of paper
blow out the window.......yes it was my sales receipt!!!!
I have yet to find who they are again :(

TT

When the flippy caps break all the parts fall onto the ground and not into the tank. Mine break in the winter on my climbing saw. always keep a couple extra around. The Stihl dealer here sells them at his cost I think 4 bucks. he told me he sold them cheep because so many customers come in to get them.

I give $4.80 ea for small oil tank.
Dad broke one of his and I bought a spare.

TT

I have two saw and one trimmer with them and I have only had one problem and it was my fault for rushing. I found that I have to be cool headed to use the flippies, they like slow and precise or they will spite you. I like them better then my screw caps though, but them again I may be over tightening the screw type. My 064 just decided to puke premix in my girlfriends garage floor when it let it sit overnight. I blamed the alcohol in the gas for killing the seal; she is still pissed at me and is giving my saws the evil eye.

I did talk to him and his wife a bit. She was the saw mechanic of the crew.
Come to find out she had 5 gallon buckets full of dead 066's in pieces.
I ask if they would like to sell them, she said I may pay you to haul them off.
I wrote there phone number down on my sales receipt. Going down the crowed
Interstate and out of the corner of my eye I seen a little piece of paper
blow out the window.......yes it was my sales receipt!!!!
I have yet to find who they are again :(

TT

Man that would be sweet,..I often come across piles of old saws but seldom are they Stihls. Wish I had a glimse of your receipt, I could recall the phone number written on it for many years by checking in to my photographic memory, it comes in real handy when working on projects. I don`t remember much that comes through auditory but if I see it, then I can recall it for many years to come.
Go back to the shop where they were buying the screw in caps, if they buy a lot of parts there the shop owner/employees may know who they are and how to contact them.

Pioneerguy600

Had my first ever trouble with flippy caps this weekend. Fueled up my ms260 for the first time in 18 months or so. Fuel cap went on perfectly. Every time I tipped the saw over a little fuel ran of of the tank. After opening and closing the cap 8-10 times and having the same drip I gave up and cut wood.

I spoke too soon. I ended up going out and cutting more the next day. My flippy cap stopped leaking before the end of the first tank of mix. Which wasn't that long considering how much ended up on the ground. Filled up again and no leaks. The rubber must like the 50:1 Stihl mix after sitting for a while. All hail the self healing flippy cap!!

:hmm3grin2orange::popcorn::popcorn::hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gb1Y_n-C1MM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gb1Y_n-C1MM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:hmm3grin2orange::popcorn::popcorn::hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gb1Y_n-C1MM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gb1Y_n-C1MM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

If you think that is something wait until they get older, for sure these things break and spill oil and gas all over everything.I just think that people that say they don't have a problem with them don't cut enough wood because i know I had many problems with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back