Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy day.

Started off the day running saws in the test log and nothing was going right. Figured I'd take a ride up to the hunting cabin but the snow was too deep up there to get in by truck.

Came back and did some cookie cutting and also started thinning the balsam in the wood lot. Got maybe a 1/4 acre cut but again the snow was pretty deep in the low areas yet.

Went down to the big city to take down a chinese elm for the inlaws this weekend, was leaning over irrigation pump and shedIMG_1994.JPGand had some rotIMG_1995.JPGwent well, sure was a nice day, great to be outside running sawsIMG_1996.JPGwood going to wife's uncle, FIL wants maple in background by house taken down too, hopefully I can scrounge a few blocks from that one and see how hardwood burns :).

No photos I'm afraid, as i was in a rush to get out after, but just collected another car full of wood from my super helpful local tree service man. A few more large rings of Oak, a fair bit of cherry, some nice looking cedar, tiny bit of pear and a little ash. The pear, cedar and ash had been undercover for some time and is dry. Following in cowboy and dancan's footsteps some large ash pieces went in the front foot well and passenger seat, seat belt on of course.

My garden (yard to you gents) is now full of various piles of largely hardwood, making a good 2 cord, needing to be processed. Along with a large pile of pallets and another 2 cord already CSS, my small suburban garden is looking rather strange! Most of the new stuff will fit in my old 6'6" x 8'6" garden shed as it's CSS, but that will take a few months now, working half an hour here, half an hour there with my mighty stihl ms180, stihl pro cleaving hammer and the fiskars x27. Hopefully not too much need for the sledge and wedges....I have those bl00dy wedges!

Why dont they just put wrap handles on everything?
I would suppose cost and it impacts the ability to flush cut stumps.

The wrap plus dual spikes only set me back $45. It's only a matter of 6 bolts to swap back to the standard handle if I ever find myself needing to do stumping and (God forbid) only have one saw with me. As the 562 is my multi purpose saw I figured it was best suited to wear the wrap.

Partially blown down red maple but it was core rotted.
View attachment 568158

Dropped some scraggly aspen near the driveway.
View attachment 568159

A bunch of balsam on the ground and a couple more to go.
View attachment 568161

Deer was checking up right away for any goodies.
View attachment 568162

Put the wrap handle on the 562. Looks great!
View attachment 568163

looks like 2 more deer in the back of the picture

are you saying that there are downed maple that are not core rotted ? about 90% of my wood right now is down or standing dead or damaged sugar maple i can count on the first 8-10 feet being rotten in the middle if not fully hollow the stuff that is to far gone busts off when split the rest burns , and it is free wood

. . . i can count on the first 8-10 feet being rotten in the middle . . . the stuff that is to far gone busts off when split the rest burns , and it is free wood

Hey, this thread IS titled "Scrounging Firewood" !!!

I'd say that scavenging the good from the rotted definitely fits in that category!

Philbert

Always hard to go by a photo. Is the walnut leaning down on one of the ash trunks, pushing up against the other trunk, or does it look like it would stay where it is if someone photoshopped the ash out of the picture?

I would be tempted to start at the right in the photo and nibble away at the ash trunks, checking for any movement with each cut. If you can remove the lower ash trunk, you might be able to drop the walnut, then go back for the other ash.

As always, a pole saw is your friend! Without one, I would have to recompute, and would want to see it in person.

JMHO

Philbert
Walnut would stay. I'm cutting from right to left back to the trunk. Like you are saying. Thanks.

looks like 2 more deer in the back of the picture

are you saying that there are downed maple that are not core rotted ? about 90% of my wood right now is down or standing dead or damaged sugar maple i can count on the first 8-10 feet being rotten in the middle if not fully hollow the stuff that is to far gone busts off when split the rest burns , and it is free wood
Just rocks in the background.

I often find blowdown red maple that is still solid. The ones that are drowned out in the understory of larger trees are always core rotted as they have been dying for sometime before they totally die though.

No photos I'm afraid, as i was in a rush to get out after, but just collected another car full of wood from my super helpful local tree service man. A few more large rings of Oak, a fair bit of cherry, some nice looking cedar, tiny bit of pear and a little ash. The pear, cedar and ash had been undercover for some time and is dry. Following in cowboy and dancan's footsteps some large ash pieces went in the front foot well and passenger seat, seat belt on of course.

Neil, I'm going to have to ask you to load it all back up in the car, including the front seat, take a picture of it and then unload it all again :laughing:. And then take another picture.

I sense you may be developing OSD....we're so proud!

Latest posts

Back