Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a great saw. Ported or even muffler modded they are a monster.
I would love to get one but I assumed they would be a decent amount more than a 555 since they are a pro saw. Apparently I should have shopped around before making that assumption

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That trailer is screaming to have some type of cutting support / bench / brackets attached to its side! Maybe a drop down design?

Philbert

Funny you say that , as I was trimming the longer stuff to fit so I could close the tailgate I was thinking I need one of these lol

Funny you say that , as I was trimming the longer stuff to fit so I could close the tailgate I was thinking I need one of these lol

I made something similar to cut wood down to length, only out of scrap 2x's and decking. Years ago we split a lot of oak at 20-24" lengths and I needed a safe way to cut all those split rounds down to 16-18" lengths. Didn't like bending over to cut them all either, and if I back up the dump cart to it I can catch all the little left over chunks easily as well.

Not a scrounge so much today, more of a storm clean-up with several wattles down or broken off.

28th Mar 1.jpg
I thought I might dust off a little fella that has been neglected for a while.

28th Mar 5.jpg

Should be good to go, with no work hours since it was last serviced (ahem, 7 years ago). I tipped out the old fuel onto a plant that I don't really like and put some new stuff in.

28th Mar 6.jpg

It was a bit of a mess down there.

28th Mar 3.jpg

and

28th Mar 2.jpg

Well, the 310 gave me the big :****you: . Must have been a really crap servicing job (ahem, 7 years ago), I don't think I'll take it back there again. Fortunately, someone else still works.

28th Mar 4.jpg

Didn't quite finish before I had to go and pick up Cowlass from ballet ( :( ) but will end up with a small pile of bonfire poles and some small stuff to help get it going.

:)

That rear bumper looks interesting , you have a pic of what it's attached to ?

It's funny that you mention it. I do have photos - somewhere - but they're all prints from about 20 years ago, I don't seem to have digital pics of it in its best state. The car has a little work to be done on it to get it running again but not much, and it is pretty dusty atm. I need to get onto it, along with everything else. I did find this however...

pic 2.jpg

Which is a photo I took in 2003 just as it was about to tick over 400,000 miles. My grandfather bought it - a Holden Premier - new, in 1969. It has a 186 cu inch straight 6 motor and is a three-on-the-tree manual.

This pic below is not mine but it is very similar.

Boonie replica.jpg

a 140mph speedo in a car with 186ci engine? Will it even get close?

Not remotely, unless you drove it off a really high cliff. The car was built just around the time of the changeover to the metric system so it was still in mph. I've had it up to 80mph on a straight flat road and it was getting uncomfortably floaty and didn't feel overly safe but it would sit on 70mph on the highway (the legal limit) very nicely. With a long enough runway, it might creep up to 90mph on a good day. However, my grandfather liked just a little bit of the finer things in life and optioned the dash out of the Monaro which was a 2-door coupe version of the same car. The Monaro could be optioned with any of a 161ci six, 186ci six, dual carb 186ci six, 253ci V8, 308ci V8 or a 350ci Chev, so the speedo needed to accommodate those options, even with the brick-like aerodynamics.

Why anyone would option a 161ci six into this is beyond me, especially if you had the go-faster racing stripes and bonnet scoops.

1969-holden-ht-monaro-gts-350-coupe.jpg

The car is cool but tell me you don't use the ladder ?

Why, don't you like it, I made it myself! Nah, it came with the house, along with a whole lot of other useless rubbish that I haven't got around to chucking out. I need to get onto that, along with everything else.

Finally had the chance to walk and blaze the property lines at my cabin, something I've never done before. The neighbors to the north recently surveyed which made that half quite easy.

There's a couple of top dead birches towards the back line that need to be cut soon to salvage the trunks before it's too late as well as a couple big aspen (meh) that could probably come down.

Checked out the huge white pine snag back there. If I knew it was still solid I'd find a way to fall it without ruining my neighbor's storage shed. It would make a great saw log and has drive up access.

All in all I own a bit more land back there than I thought although the angles of the property are different than I had figured.

IMG_7524.JPG IMG_7525.JPG

Wow, other than getting wood CSS and delivered i think I've got a the best relationship with a local tree service :rock:. I've gone from grabbing whatever happened to be surplus, which was always Leylandii or another pine/fir, to getting oak, pear and ash set aside for me to.......I just got a text to say tomorrow he is felling a false acacia. I'm assuming he means Robinia pseudoacacia aka black locust! Never burnt that, nor know anyone here that has. It's not a common tree here but is grown in public parks as an ornamental tree. I only know what one looks like after seeing one labeled in a nearby park. So.....Do i bother to drive over and collect it? It will be ringed trunk and large branch material apparently. Think I've read a few times you guys rate it. ;)

It will be one of the hardest, most rot resistant, and best burning wood you have ever seen.

If you need any fence posts, etc, this is the stuff to use. It does not last forever, but it generally last about one day longer than stone!

I just feel sorry for ya that you don't get to run the saw!!!!

Sounds almost as long lasting as our native English Oak then.

I'm quite happy I'll only get to run the saw in a few branches, a stihl ms180 with safety chain may struggle in big stuff to be honest! Cross your fingers for straight grain.... It's me and the x27, no hydraulic assistant here

He has confirmed Robinia, and says it's half dead standing too. How long to season? I'd normally season oak 3 years in our climate. 2018/19 pile for this?

Latest posts

Back