Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope , she was complaining that I had way more pics of tractors , trees and firewood than of the kids ... Not sure what's wrong with that ?
It's ok buddy, just keep trying, I'm sure you will get it right :p.
This morning I had an issue with the 241 , the throttle would stick wide open and not spring back .
The trigger pivot got gummed up with sap from all the fir .

dINyP72j2ElKtoRZFu0QuCAdtYrDaNN0d0dPFVpZE-p3HlkKWLu9qrT-Z_r0ATKDqhqcT4mkXlzeT8CptVe2fvoozoRMSi-5_1ec_-iz3kwHVUs5S75bbZ517WTjgNqY2Ozke8E8gaEYRWZhAU2kIWKmchZjdgi_UFmG_3ofx45dONt1Xsw-W1y6wRe717X98weJA77FVVTRG57ez6HopyvzLqf5QoGywme3fWtsP1HqW1HDU6l5dKnevsLTGdj5tF2sdJeTNxnkzCPc03rjX5ExpMtW2n2vBA_7rB7RswjB6kKI9jhKN8sRnSF6xgzZwpfCOJpahAEpyF_3bq7Ky2CysL4EIX93WUuaBgWDHfC8IMPtF-89IEGE-6HCEdK0Yf4CaA_2ENKCMSTuKGMdL-hwlR4r0HKGljkTwO1QIUydZSBigAOOqw6EM2X9QWuK6RDjgtw94pstlYJNWiKambnKkZRuNBKhwFoxw2XwlMGYrKGQK1DNc7yF5Jd44FjzzK4ADTlkAW1YuYhGuzBTKo4UUwTNcDwx2I4jz-HdPCfWm2eGjkF_F04WQxOjr1opRW-NcH9fN0TP0OQrsGLoXFvlbjmMHZQHDhufeEVjkk_u03GofLdS4T69QNFPmPMwqZ2BP-RBX0urcsMAJ81O47eKkShf-_mWswmqogPchkiVWdc=w1668-h938-no

PB Blaster to the rescue lol
Does that work as good as wd40.
Before I start working on pine I spray my saws down, then I spray them every time I refuel, I don't like sap :nofunny:.

Mostly red maple in my area and it's rare to find a big one that isn't punky in the core.
Did you say punky maple Steve :surprised3:.
Had an insurance guy call me and ask me to scrounge this one off a house lol.
I left the wood on site after removing it from the house, as I was 45 min away from the house, but I think I'll be okay :D.
20170708_084812.jpg

On my way to my shed to hook up my boat, I passed my firewood pile. I looked at it for a few seconds, feeling guilty that I didnt have it split and stacked by now. Then I got over it, hooked up the boat and went fishing. They will have the Lake level pulled way down in a couple of months, and it should be a bit cooler, I can split the wood then

On my way to my shed to hook up my boat, I passed my firewood pile. I looked at it for a few seconds, feeling guilty that I didnt have it split and stacked by now. Then I got over it, hooked up the boat and went fishing. They will have the Lake level pulled way down in a couple of months, and it should be a bit cooler, I can split the wood then
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: of the fish you caught. :innocent:

My wife says no more firewooding toys. I decided to agree with her.
I'm pricing a Woodland Mills bandsaw mill. No more firewooding toys, only milling toys from now on. I'm tired of cutting really nice 20" laser straight ash into firewood. There is also lots of cedar to come out yet. And the poplar can finally be used for something other than exercise and a little heat.

Dancan has more spruce than most countries around me!
That's funny stuff CB.
You were saying you don't have to deal with the pitch/sap, I was wondering how bad the fines/dust of that very hard wood you usually cut effects the saws and filters. It seems like it could plug a filter pretty fast, also cause oiler problems.
Hope your Monday is starting off well.

That's funny stuff CB.
You were saying you don't have to deal with the pitch/sap, I was wondering how bad the fines/dust of that very hard wood you usually cut effects the saws and filters. It seems like it could plug a filter pretty fast, also cause oiler problems.
Hope your Monday is starting off well.
My Monday's going great, it's 1.30pm and I've already knocked off from work :happy:.

Yeah, I tap out the filters fairly often (well when I remember). Dry blue gum is the hardest in my immediate area and is hard on chains - it's twice as hard as white oak. I broke a number of carbide chain cutters off and put backward pointing burrs on full chisel chains cutting that stuff and there are a number of species around in other parts that are harder again. Changing to semi-chisel certainly solved the damage problem but is slow going and you're soon producing sawdust as much as chips so it does clog the filter faster, no question. No such trouble when it's green. The other local species also dust up the filters when dry but without the chain damage.

Never had a problem with the oilers. TBH, I rarely actually check, other than noting that it uses 3/4 tank of bar oil for every tank of 2-stroke.

I'm still alive.

Spent 5 days in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area on the far northeastern corner of MN with my 9 year old.

It was windy nearly every day and the wind kept switching from west to east which slowed the fishing but we still caught dozens of fish. Kept a few for a couple of meals. Had a bear visit our campsite but luckily I had the food pack with us in the canoe. We saw him swim from our site as we returned home one day.

Overall we had a great trip.

Here's some scrounging and some other pics from the trip:

View attachment 591359 View attachment 591360 View attachment 591361 View attachment 591362 View attachment 591363 View attachment 591364 View attachment 591365 View attachment 591366 View attachment 591367 View attachment 591368
Smallmouth & Walleyes...YUM!!:sweet:

Latest posts

Back