Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Dan, if it helps you sleep any better, you can come down and visit and at various sites I have several logs that need to be milled: Red Oak, Sugar Maple, Pig Nut Hickory and White Oak.

You are welcome to help, but I think you should bring something larger than Mighty Mouse for the task! (I currently have 3 running 066/660s, so I think we are set).

IMG_1713.JPG Went to a local auction the other night, was set to bid on a neat looking 045 super but it went higher than I was willing to go. Haven't bought a saw since last year and I need one like a hole in the head but CAD is itching to come out of remission.
Instead I enlisted one of my sons and we stacked a cord of split this morning before the sun got too high.
I did use a saw today. Cut of some boards so I could mount my sons borrowed boat on top of mine for our annual father/son fishing trip. Pretty stoked about this trip. We go backwoods camping a ways down the French River and hopefully see few others. I will take a bit of firewood but also an axe and hand saw, we will be scrounging beaver dams for firewood to cook over. Now back to work, going to repack trailer bearings.

View attachment 593502 Went to a local auction the other night, was set to bid on a neat looking 045 super but it went higher than I was willing to go. Haven't bought a saw since last year and I need one like a hole in the head but CAD is itching to come out of remission.
Instead I enlisted one of my sons and we stacked a cord of split this morning before the sun got too high.
I did use a saw today. Cut of some boards so I could mount my sons borrowed boat on top of mine for our annual father/son fishing trip. Pretty stoked about this trip. We go backwoods camping a ways down the French River and hopefully see few others. I will take a bit of firewood but also an axe and hand saw, we will be scrounging beaver dams for firewood to cook over. Now back to work, going to repack trailer bearings.
Sounds like a great time! No people, time in the back woods with your son, doesn't get much better than that.

View attachment 593502 Went to a local auction the other night, was set to bid on a neat looking 045 super but it went higher than I was willing to go. Haven't bought a saw since last year and I need one like a hole in the head but CAD is itching to come out of remission.
Have a blast! Take many pics for us.

not a wood scrounge.BETTER!! went to TSC yesterday for a mower belt and checked out the clearance rack. the price was negotiated and i took it home. it was returned because it ran "rough".:laughing: brought it home and did the usual plug and air filter check and fired it up. seemed fine to me. might need the idle tweaked a little. looks like a good truck saw. check out your local TSC. i saw some good deals on wood "toys".:rolleyes:20170728_145041.jpg 20170728_145029.jpg

not a wood scrounge.BETTER!! went to TSC yesterday for a mower belt and checked out the clearance rack. the price was negotiated and i took it home. it was returned because it ran "rough".:laughing: brought it home and did the usual plug and air filter check and fired it up. seemed fine to me. might need the idle tweaked a little. looks like a good truck saw. check out your local TSC. i saw some good deals on wood "toys".:rolleyes:View attachment 593545 View attachment 593546
Hi Steve. Nice looking saw!

not a wood scrounge.BETTER!! went to TSC yesterday for a mower belt and checked out the clearance rack. the price was negotiated and i took it home. it was returned because it ran "rough".:laughing: brought it home and did the usual plug and air filter check and fired it up. seemed fine to me. might need the idle tweaked a little. looks like a good truck saw. check out your local TSC. i saw some good deals on wood "toys".:rolleyes:View attachment 593545 View attachment 593546
"Running huskies but only at GTGs"

Made it out to high country scrounge area yesterday, sunrise when I leftIMG_2288.JPG sure nice to be out running saws and cutting wood, really like the wrap handle and bigger dogs on the 562IMG_2290.JPGAll loaded ready to head backIMG_2291.JPG Running out of room at the house had to stack it in a new spot IMG_2295.JPGI think it's dry;)IMG_2296.JPG

Nice load of wood there Nate !
Beetle kill ?
Thanks Dan. Yes beetle kill lodge pole pine. Pretty dense stuff, rated heat output is almost same as Douglas fir. The bugs and fires have been pretty hard on our forests but there is lots of new stuff growing back too.

Traitor :laughing:

Made it out to high country scrounge area yesterday, sunrise when I leftView attachment 593624 sure nice to be out running saws and cutting wood, really like the wrap handle and bigger dogs on the 562View attachment 593625All loaded ready to head backView attachment 593626 Running out of room at the house had to stack it in a new spot View attachment 593627I think it's dry;)View attachment 593628
When you are cutting those super dry ones the whole tree vibrates like a tuning fork lol.

Latest posts

Back